Vitesse 2L static ignition setting

PatK

11 minutes ago, johny said:

It's not so much fluctuation (which could be down to other things) but more that the strobe shows the same timing when connected to plug 6 as number 1. It would be interesting to see how your magnetronic performs if you get a chance.....

Thanks johny, I will try that and let you know, but as Pete says, if there is a difference I will be concerned.

3 minutes ago, PatK said:

Hi johny, I was interested in how these Hall effect systems work and there are several good videos on U tube. As far as I can see, the magnet passing over the Hall effect  system triggers a square sine wave from the diode which switches off the LT current accurately and very quickly. better that the slow opening of the points and probably gives a bigger secondary voltage in the coil. I do know that the car now starts instantly with the Magnetronic system fitted and idles much more smoothly. 

No expert on these things and certainly electronic can give better spark and running but surely a magnetic field has a variable strength over distance so the actual trigger point can vary slightly?

1 minute ago, johny said:

No expert on these things and certainly electronic can give better spark and running but surely a magnetic field has a variable strength over distance so the actual trigger point can vary slightly?

1 minute ago, johny said:

Check out the U tube video johny on how it works, I think that the magnet pushes the electrons to one side of the metallic strip and this triggers a shottky diode at a certain point, where the output square sine wave breaks the LT current  ( I think )!

Ok will do but what I'm saying is that as the trigger magnet comes round it's got a magnetic field that gets stronger the closer it gets to the sensor till eventually it's strong enough to switch it on. The point it switches on depends on the strength of the magnet and it's positioning both of which are variable so potentially giving rise to different degrees of firing on each cylinder.

Probably why aldon are far more money than accuspark  

Detail  and reliability ...... costs

Ive use aldon and lumenition for years without any issues 

Where as ive twiddled a good few with cheaper units that have given a range of running issues including HT where you dont want it

We are not into variable timing with a mind of its own or restricted revability 

Throw in imtermixed  ballast feeds and plugs with an R in all make for a sad car

Pete

23 hours ago, johny said:

It's not so much fluctuation (which could be down to other things) but more that the strobe shows the same timing when connected to plug 6 as number 1. It would be interesting to see how your magnetronic performs if you get a chance.....

Hi johny, i checked both Nr1 and Nr6 with the strobe, they were both spot on. The timing mark is rock steady with no variation. Below is a photo of the Magnetronic set up and you can clearly see the small square magnets and under them at the front, the metal cased pick up which has a white Lumenition sticker on top.   If your accuspark is working fine then no point in changing it. Thanks.    pat

IMG_1149.jpg

Hi. It does make me wonder, if it's best to use to the good old fashioned points?. After I changed back to them (after suspect E/I), they have been fine for me, and no diff in running that I can tel. seem very realable as well. 

Maybe if you have a worn dizzy shaft , etc, or into proper racing it can make a difference?.

Dave 

Edited by daverclasper

On 02/08/2019 at 07:53, Pete Lewis said:

Probably why aldon are far more money than accuspark  

Detail  and reliability ...... costs

Ive use aldon and lumenition for years without any issues 

Where as ive twiddled a good few with cheaper units that have given a range of running issues including HT where you dont want it

We are not into variable timing with a mind of its own or restricted revability 

Throw in imtermixed  ballast feeds and plugs with an R in all make for a sad car

Pete

Spot on Pete. How does the old saying go, " When you pay for quality, the quality is enjoyed long after the cost is forgotten! "

• Like 1

I don't mind paying for quality (for example Park Lane Classics leather seat covers).As posted numerous times over this forum, there is no way of knowing if something is a quality product or overpriced imported cr*p. Trade names are no guide as they are now sold like any other product. Nobody knows who owns what name as products from respected names of the past appear to be no better than cheap conterparts, assuming, of ciurse that they are not counterfeit to start with. It comes down to 'suck it an see', in which case do you go expensive and hope, or cheap....... and hope.

Aldon also known as Pertronix are VERY expensive now. £80 when I bought one from the club shop 5 years ago (They don't sell them any more).  £120 when I had to buy a spare part from the USA (I broke it dragging my cylinder head off the car :angry:) And now, with the £ sinking against the dollar, you'll need a mortgage. However, as said, you get what you pay for. Never missed a beat, but, just in case my points, condenser, screws and a screwdriver are in a plastic bag under the passenger seat.

Doug

7 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Pat saying was different in bedfordshire !!   

you remember how good its was a long time after you forgot what you paid for it ...same difference

but as said theres no f in 'quality'    like there used to be in a brand you could trust....all gone 

Pete

Very True.

Dave