GT6 Mk2 rear external vent renovation

rulloyd

Wondering if anybody has any ideas on what to do wrt renovating the external  vent covers on the rear sides of my Mk2 GT6.  The originals are chrome and pitted.  I would imagine a rechrome would be difficut and not great without a lot of filling but I don't want to paint them body colour or black.

2nd hand they are in the hens teeth category.  I have never seen any on fleabay in years of searching.

All advice appreciated.

Many thanks

Rich

I'd say you have a limited choices, if you can't find replacements. (Try Chic Doig - he may have some in the workshop.)

Either put up with them as they are, or have them chromed; if not, and they're really spoiling the look of the car, then painting body colour or else black may not be the worst option?

I'll probably get them chromed.  I was thinking they may be beyond chroming - but maybe not.

What about filling the pitting with epoxy and painting with 'chrome paint'/ lacquer? 😮😮 😮  Would that be so bad?  Any experience of that stuff?  It's not like they were ever 'mirror' chome like in the first place, as far as I recall.

But I want it to look like chrome (to be honest before I took the vents off I assumed they were chrome painted plastic!).

Thanks

Rich

52 minutes ago, Martin M said:

I gave away pitted ones for re-chroming. They warned me that they cannot fill the pitted areas and it could get worse. They where right. It got worse.

Martin

Oh dear.  I wonder why they couldn't fill them.  What did you do in the end?