Vitesse/Herald Radio Fitting

Bobtaylor

I have one of the modern stainless radio brackets (currently for sale on eBay) that will hold the unit only but not the speaker; if you want one with a built-in speaker they may be harder to find, and the original ones are real hen's teeth. I've found them online before now, but they're getting rarer. This one is the closest I could find to the sort of thing I was looking for, and it was big money.

console.jpg.20215ebdb55a7fc8c467babca4f15e78.jpg

I wonder if anyone makes new fibreglass or plastic versions?

Something like this one may be adaptable? Otherwise, it's just a question of waiting until the right one comes along.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-1970-s-RARE-BLACK-PLASTIC-CLASSIC-CAR-STEREO-CENTRE-CONSOLE-IN-USED-COND/293113722423?hash=item443ef07637:g:f-IAAOSw~G5c-Y9p

Radiomobile fitting instructions were covered in the Courier 223.  Also covers aerial fitting.  If you want to PM me  with your email then I can send a copy.  It won't find you a radio mount, but it may help the thought processes.  And you will learn about the three screws at the front of the coin tray (unless you have a replacement trans tunnel).  Somewhere, I have a template for the speaker housing if you get that far. 

I wonder if anyone makes new fibreglass or plastic versions?

Bill was looking at this when Rarebit was up and running, but I don't think it happened.  Shouldn't be difficult to do.  Club shop? if anyone's monitoring.

C.

1 hour ago, 68vitesse said:

Think Colin is referring to one of these,

Yes, I had assumed the OP didn't have one to fit and was looking for either an original bracket plus speaker, or a replacement unit like the consoles that were about in the 1960s or 70s.

I searched over a coffee this morning and couldn't find any consoles - plenty of period radios, just nothing to mount them in or on. This is the sort of thing that would do if an original isn't forthcoming; both will fit the Herald or Vitesse:

DSCF7159.jpg.2ca18737f9b1420c60cc2c922f180266.jpg

DSCF7160.jpg.c4b7d61929ec2dd55ec8eeb0bfb18d19.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...