Spitfire 1500 Heater control illumination

Chris Bracey

Hi. My 1500 spitfire doesnt have the heater controls illiminated.

I looked at haynes manual but could not find any sign of a bulb on the heater controls.

I took centre dash out and it looks like it should have a buld holder inserted into an illumination pod and although the wiring loom looks original there was no holder or  wiring  looking for a home. I assume it would be a red wire like the other instruments with black earth wire . So i can make up a circuit i can run off a gauge lighting but what colour wires were originally used and where were they routed., does anyone know.  I could see a whiite wire with an empty bullet connector hanging in the air on the left side of the dash but havent tested if its live.

If you have any pictures of the bulb and holder it  would be great.

Thanks

Chris,

I've recently done this on my GT6, I don't think UK GT6s were illuminated, but I think some late Spitfires were. Whatever the case, the prism is there on the GT6 and Spitfire plastic. There is a bulb connector and the whole unit, connector and plastic strip, sometimes come up on fleabay, for a price. I used an LED and it wouldn't fit the connector anyway, so I bought an LED connector, put it in a tube over the lens and gorilla glued it all together. The LED has to be tight against the lens the result is well worth the effort, it looks really good! 

Doug

I illuminated my heater controls last year by forming a light box at the back of the dash behind the controller and fitting an led instrument bulb at each end. I think I documented it on my restoration thread. I will check and add the link later.

Update. Don't appear to have posted the full upgrade but thumbnail instructions are here..

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/2778-instrument-lighting-vitesse/?tab=comments#comment-27065

Hope it helps a little

Edited by Badwolf
updated