Paint strip

Tanky

Charlie - If you haven't yet started stripping your paint, then I can recommend the black composite (look like a black plastic brillo pad spread over an angle grinder disc) for getting rid of paint without damaging the sound metal. I used two to strip my bonnet. Just in case you need to know. The P80 sanding discs would gave taken forever.

9 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Charlie - If you haven't yet started stripping your paint, then I can recommend the black composite (look like a black plastic brillo pad spread over an angle grinder disc) for getting rid of paint without damaging the sound metal. I used two to strip my bonnet. Just in case you need to know. The P80 sanding discs would gave taken forever.

Any chance of a link ?

Paul 

Hi Paul

Try this for guidance

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-125mm-Poly-Strip-Wheel-Paint-Rust-Removal-Clean-Quality-Angle-Grinder-Disc/253919948058?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=553232618372&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have ordered some of these from 'off shore' for later in the month..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-Poly-Strip-Disc-Abrasive-Wheel-Paint-Rust-Removal-Clean-For-Angle-Grinder-UK/362885300207?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=632018344976&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Which work out a lot cheaper, as for quality... who knows.

Use the links for guidance, and look around fkeabay there is always cheaper but quality probably suffers. 3M and Norton products get good write ups but I don't know if they are worth the extra.

I have used them in my variable speed, highly in-expensive aldi angle grinders. Take care when you first use them as they tend to 'dig in' when new.

Wear good gloves, eye protection and a good quality mask. As the discs wear down, bits start to fly off...at speed. That us you cue to replace them. Also a full face visor is a very good idea, but steams up my glasses!! Any further info, just ask.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Wow, for that price I hope that they last well.

Yes, well, Amazon mark-up and all that. I'd go for the bay ones, myself. The last one I bought (from an actual physical local shop!) has lasted pretty well.

They're also a quick way to assess the severity of a bit of rust. I went to clean up a fuel tank with it the other day - just take the surface rust off - and it took about three seconds to make a hole.😒