Paint strip

Tanky

Hi all, 

I'm about to strip the Spit as i am not happy with the paint. So i intend to start with the hood, interior next, then the chrome and stuff...I'm going to get the engine and gear box out too..

So I'd like your thoughts on where I should start with the paint. I've just bought an orbital and palm sander what grit should I start on and end up on?

I'd love the benefit of someone else's experience before I start.....Slightly panicking!

Charlie

Hi Charlie. I am in the same position. Started with the bonnet underside. Used Starchem Synstrip to clean off the underseal/schutz/hammerite/original paint/undercoat. Them treated it with tbe POR15 system which I had bought for something else and thought I might as well use it up. The top side is a mess but I don't want to use stripper on this as there is filler under it somewhere. I have bought a Makita d/a sander which I will use with mirka style mesh sanding discs. I also bought a mirka style hand sander along with the tube to connect to a vacuum cleaner. It also fits the makita with an adapter. The idea being to keep the dust generated to a minimum. I will start with 80 or 120 grit to get the paint off and reduce as needed. I might even try a 3m stripping disc but beleive it may be a bit vicious. I think the trick is gentle and don't dig into the metalwork.

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

I think the trick is gentle and don't dig into the metalwork.

Yep - be careful of scoring it. More gently may take more time, but it causes less damage. Paint and filler can cover up a lot, but sometimes not all, and the little digs and lines still show through some paint finishes. Take it easy!

... also, a good face mask is essential. Don't use the cheap paper things. A 3m 6200 type mask off fleabay along with a set of particulate filters will cost about £25.00. Get one, your health is worth more than the car. A 6200 kit will come with vapour filters, save them for painting (along with some spares) Get the big pink things for dust and debris. Make sure that all the components are compatible before ordering!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-6200-Premium-Half-Face-Spray-Paint-Dust-Mask-Respirator-Filter-7-in-1/253967812080?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-5-packs-3M-2091-P100-Particulate-Filter-for-3M-6200-6800-7502-Respirato/202766174881?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pair-3M-6051-A1-Organic-Gas-Vapour-Particulate-Filters-6000-Series/264465077096?epid=22018387681&hash=item3d9358d368:g:rQMAAOSwcBVc7WXn

Weblinks for guidance.

Great advice, thanks. just bought one. Do I have to buy automotive sanding discs for my sanders or can I just use the discs that came with the sander? I have lots of wet and dry sheets but not for my sander. Does that make sense?

Charlie

6 minutes ago, Tanky said:

Do I have to buy automotive sanding discs for my sanders or can I just use the discs that came with the sander? I have lots of wet and dry sheets but not for my sander. Does that make sense?

Charlie

That will depend on the brand of sander. Some of them supply discs simply because they have to, or to keep the price low, and they're not the best quality. They may do as a starter but not for the final finish. I'd buy good ones from an Autofactor close to you, or online, just to be sure they'll do the job and not fall apart at the first touch. Unfortunately it is usually trial and error.

I have all this to do shortly when the dark cold days arrive so will compare notes!

Mirka abrasives have a good reputation. I got the unbranded 'copies' to try, from the spring Practical Classics Show. Not tried them yet, but like Colin, will set to work over the late autumn. My Makita takes 150mm disks with the velcro style backing which are pretty universal. 125mm are also popular. I will be posting stuff on my restoration/general c*ckup thread in due course.

Hi,

It's quite hard to generalise because there are so many variables. One key matter is whether you are planning a strip back to bare metal across all the work areas (?). If so then the approach is quite simple; paint strip to remove the bulk of the old paint then 80 grit discs on a DA (dual action) sander to work off the rest. As for brands, most Pros use Mirka, Indasa or 3M. Think in terms of one disc per square foot (ish) on old well seasoned paint.

Wet and Dry paper is only for hand use - all discs for a DA are dry.

Could I ask whether your sanders are DA rather than simple rotary/oscillating? If not DA then the work will take forever. On a DA even the relative coarseness of 80grit will not attack the base metal to any great extent.

Are yo planning to repaint the car yourself? I've been taught over the last couple of years that the key issue in refinishing is getting the first coat of primer-filler on thick, really thick - sags/runs/orange peel/dust inclusions are not to be seen as a problem. I mention this because in the past I've spent too much time getting the base metal and any filled areas 'just so' when I could have just let the PF do the work for me.

So stripping and first filling can be approached in a quick a effective (almost rough and ready) way and the fine grain attention begins once the PF is on.

Regards

Chris

Chris - Iagree. I was told by a respected restorer to strip back to bare metal, rust convert where needed (bilthamber etc) and apply 2k primer immediately using a gloss paint 4" roller. On no account spray 2k without an air fed face mask ,as the 2k will damage your lungs. Then consider repairs, runs,filler etc at leisure, spot 2k priming again where needed. The converter deals with any rust but the 2k makes the surface waterproof whereas the likes of zinc primer absorb at holds moisture which causes blistering over time. I know, look at the state of my bonnet on the 'nose to tail' thread as this is exactly the mistake that was made with mine.

Tony - I am told that a standard vapour mask/filter for roller application and a particulate mask/filter for sanding cured 2k is ok. The danger appears to be breathing in the uncured paint molecules from the atmosphere when spraying which then coat the inside on the lungs etc, then cure, with obvious disasterous results. I must stress that this how I plan to do mine,  but I have not tried this yet.

• Thanks 1

There's a YouTube Video of a guy spraying a Spitfire Boot lid , no protective clothing apart from a pair of rubber gloves and a  face mask ( not airfed ) spraying metallic 2 pack .  He does call himself the Incompetent Restorer though . 

Paul 

Well after watching that video, I now know what not to do!

Thanks for all the very helpful advice Triumphers. So I plan to rub it down as much as I need to to get a lovely flat surface as I have been advised that I don't need to go back to metal. Although I have some filler and a couple of blister spots, so these will get the full treatment.... That's a really good point about letting the primer do some of the work, I shall definitely take that on board. I'm not going to paint it myself, I'll send it off to have it done professionally. 

I just bought a rotary sander and a palm sander from B&Q as I didn't know there was a difference. it might take me a while, but I have all winter ... Alas the underside of the bonnet is thick with stone chip of some sort, so I will try and find some of that Synstrip.

Having removed the interior completely, ( if anyone wants a really good black interior, drop me a line), there are drill holes everywhere, Should these be welded or is there another way of dealing with these? as I'm not great at welding!

Anyway, thanks again guys.

Cheers

Charlie

Charlie - You can get Synstryp off fleabay in 'gallon' containers. You have to confirm that you are a professional user with some sellers. Its vicious stuff, what nitromorse was before the health & safety people ruined it. Gloves, overalls, eye protection and don't let it dry out. It will shift most paints, underseal, filler and disolve adhesive joints.Great stuff but time consuming to use. Be careful doing the bits under the wheel arches where they meet the bonnet as there is not much room to get in and a danger of getting the stripper on the bit of skin the gloves and overalls miss. I taped over the join between my marigold gloves and overalls with masking tape, and wash the overalls after you are finished.

Well guys I wimped out when doing my GT6 and used http://www.paint-strip.co.uk/how-we-do-it/ So much easier just cut out any bits and bobs you don't want, weld in new bits and give it to them, and remember the primer is on ALL THE  BODYy even the bits you CAN'T see, It was just awkward reappllying some of the seam sealer

primer 1.jpg

13 hours ago, Guppy916 said:

Well guys I wimped out when doing my GT6 and used http://www.paint-strip.co.uk/how-we-do-it/ 

That looks superb. I don't think I've anyone near to where I live that does that kind of work. I've a Herald tub that has to go for for sandblasting later on this week (it won't fit in my cabinet) and the instructions are to blast seams, floors and other hard to reach areas but leave the main centre areas of the rear wings - I'm worried about rippling or other visible damage and will strip those myself once it returns.

I'll be in Penrith at the end of the month (Fylde Guitars again probably) but in a Freelander and definitely with no trailer on. Last time I was in Preston it was only because the boss was navigating me to Westmoreland from York, so you can tell how good her navigation skills are. She might not even notice a trailer.. :)