French Triumph Owners

vitessefrance

Hello to all in Triumph land, I have lived and worked in France for 14 years basse normandie  (1.5hrs from Le Mans) and am in the process (longwinded) of restoring my old Mk 2 Vitesse convertible to its deservered glory. I also have an ex hill climb car that seems to have started life as a Herald saloon and then grown Mk2 Vitesse suspension and a mighty 2500 Pi engine and box ( runs well but set fire to my garage with the flames that came out of the exhaust when throttling down) This however will have to wait until all my kids have finished at university. 

Anyway I think there must be many people in France with Triumphs in many different states and it would be nice to pull a group together on the forum to talk. I have read the courier but there does not seem any input from here and I had not met any other enthusiasts I had started thinking I was alone here until I had been recently looking for a good sandblasting company for my chassis and an English hospital visitor suggested to my wife a local firm, it turns out he is rebuilding a TR6.

Any other people out  here want to join in.

Regards Anthony

Hello JohnD

No mine has a very old west country registration and from what I can find out campaigned a bit in Wales, the V5 Is marked Herald 2500. I originally bought it for parts, (I know) expecting it to be worse than it is from the price but after putting the dizzy the right way round it fired up and ran well except for no brakes, just hand brake. I have a 900 metre drive and the smile it put on my 18 year old daughters face(petrol head, do not know where that comes from) driving it to the end and back it has to campaign again.

I will put some photos on when I get a chance.

Regards Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I'm in the early stages of buying a place in France and was very interested in reading your post.

Although I'm looking at the Limousin (which is obviously a lot further south than you) and, at this stage, not living there full time (it's the wife - but I'm working on it) but using it more as a "holiday home" several months of the year. I was planning on keeping my Spitfire over there but must admit to feeling a bit intimidated by the idea - not only of maintenance but also of re-registering an old British sports car in France - I've read elsewhere that it can be a traumatic experience. So having a fellow Triumph chap to share problems with would be very appealing.

So that's two of us....

Regards

Clive

Hello Clive

Really nice to hear from you, although I have not registered a classic car here as mine are not road worthy yet, I have registered classic bike which is the same process and it is not a problem (like it used to be). I will help all I can when you do this and good luck with the move, its not all roses but it is worth it. There are alot more British people down south, mainly because the weather is better and so if this post does get some response then I think you will be nearer to most.

Anyway stay in touch

Regards Anthony

Morning Anthony,

And thank you very much for the kind offer of help as and when I get around to re-registering the Spitfire.

I shall keep in touch regarding the property purchase and maybe we can call in to see you on our way down to the Limousin.

Kind regards

Clive

Clive, I read that many ex-pats keep their UK cars in UK registration for years in France - as long as six, for a TR3 currnetly on sale in Paris but still in UK registartion, and longer.   No personal experience, and the small matter of bringing it back to the UK yearly for an MoT might limit the idea to Northern France and the Low Countries.

Anthony, If that's not your Vitesse, do you know anything about those pilotes intrepides?

John

John,

Thanks for the comment - maybe I'll just see how things go for a while - although, as you say, the need for a UK MOT could be a pain in the arse and, of course, there's no road fund duty to pay in France for a French registered vehicle.

Regards

Clive 

Hello again, Yes there are alot of Uk registered cars permanently in France, the law is clear you have 6 months to register a vehicle here, (unless you keep a Uk address and can prove if necessary that the vehicle returns to the uk within 6 months) There are fewer and fewer French insurance companies that are prepared to ensure a uk registered car indefinately. If you want to live in a country and have nothing to hide then respect the system. (how many times have I seen in the uk papers people complaining about polish cars etc avoiding tickets and road tax but are in the uk permanently and dodgy uk builders etc here do the same thing.)

The laws may be different but the love of Triumphs is without boarders.

Regards Anthony  

• 5 months later...

Hello Anthony.

I've just joined this Forum and will be joining TSSC at the Triumph Spares Day in March. 

Seeing your thread, I thought I'd mention that we are taking our Vitesse Mk2 to France in June; spending approx. two weeks touring and various stop overs.

The route will be Newhaven - Dieppe; then stopping at Rouen - Honfleur - Bayeaux - Vitre - La Rochelle - Tours - Rouen. Then ferry home from Dieppe. 

No major roads just the "D" roads - we are not on a tight schedule so can drive at our leisure - there's no other way !!

Have to say I'm really looking forward to taking the Vitesse over there, having spent many trips through France in a modern.

As far as I'm concerned motoring in France cannot be beaten !!  

Many thanks for starting a "French Thread".

Regards.

Richard.

• 1 month later...

Hi Anthony,

as a long time Francophile, French teacher, French car  and Triumph enthusiast, I thought I might introduce myself. John has an interest in Vitesse 2.5 pi, his Son of Silverback race car is road worthy and has done a lap of the old Reims circuit which at one stage was on You Tube. Anyway, France is certainly the place to be for classic driving, your car will also be revered where ever you go. 

Cheers Calvin.

Bonjour

I’ve only just started looking at this forum so t is only today I spotted this thread.

I live in the Orne, Basse Normandie, and have done since 1994.

I have a 13/60 convertible, since the end of February.

There is a French Triumph owners club with a forum – not as active as this but still worth following.

http://www.triumph-club-de-france.fr/home

The Normandy section has its first outing on the 28th of the month & I hope to pay them a visit. Unfortunately I have another engagement that day so can’t do the whole run even though they are in the same area as I will be; I need my modern car with more carrying space.

There are quite a few Triumphs in France, it seems to me the TRs & Stags are the most numerous with Heralds being a rare animal.

By the way did you know that the 13/60 was badged as “Britt” over here?

Hello to all who have replied  I have not had a chance to be on line lately so apologies to all,

Kalvin  thanks for the response and JohnD for the link, I had the pleasure of going to Reims before it was restored on a sunny still afternoon with the adverts on the walls faided and a ghostly calm broken by the occassional loud exhaust from the nearby autoroute, all the buildings were open just empty it was really amazing, not to sure if it is as good restored, more romantic caped in the past. (isn't that why we like Triumphs?)

Richard I hope your trip was good and the Vitesse and yourselves enjoyed it.

Chris.Anthony  I to live in the Basse Normandie about as far Basse as it gets give or take a couple of Km. Thanks for the link I will look  into this but my Vitesse is as in bits as its possible to get at the moment being treated to sandblasted chassis and new paint but its good to know there are others out there.

To answer your question about the 13/60 I had seen adverts on le boncoin for boots marks as Britt but I had not made the connection. It would be interesting to know where you are, I am near Domfront.

Best wishes to all

Anthony

Hi Anthony

It seems odd saying that I feel I am talking to myself, OK so I do talk to myself but that is different. :)

You live in the far left of the Orne while I live in the far right of the same department. Another 10 Kms and I not only leave the department but also the region to end up in the Sarthe, the home of Le Mans.

My partner is currently in Bagnoles de L’Orne for her annual 3 week “cure” so I get to spend a couple of days per week there as well, in fact I’m off again tomorrow until Wednesday and will be taking Ruby, my 13/60, which I am still getting used to. The last time I drive a 13/60 was in 1970 for driving lessons & test. :rolleyes:

The journey is great, hardly any traffic, quiet roads, lovely open countryside a real pleasure. Unless it is actually raining the top will be down even if it means gloves and woolly hat need to be worn in addition to my flying jacket – can’t afford a spitfire. :D

I am going to use this week’s run to check out the accuracy of the milometer, I know how far it is according to my modern car so want to do a comparison to have a sound footing for calculating fuel consumption. Not that I have any reason to doubt that it is anything but acceptable.

Good luck with the vitesse

Chris

Hello Chris.A

I hope you have a nice drive, the weather has not been brilliant but the Herald should be at home in Bagnoles as it rather like Buxton or other Uk Spa towns. I would buy you a coffee as it local to us but I should be back at work tomorrow, Doctors appointment permitting, It must be said that French companies do take health care seriously, even though my medicin treatant (gp) says it Ok to go back French companies require a visite medical to the goverment works doctor first.

So I maybe here? are you online over the next couple of days.?

Regards Anthony.

Hi Anthony

I've just got time to check any new posts and feed the cats before setting off, I'll be off line until Wednesday pm. :angry:

I've been to Bagnoles several times and I feel young compared to the average age of the others meandering around.

The first time we passed through Bagnoles we had no idea of what it was. It was like a ghost town by 8.30 pm ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

We have a house in Brittany which we currently use for holidays, but we intend to move there when we retire in the not too distant future.  We are coming over in May and intend to bring our Mk 3 Spitfire with us to leave there.  I understand that to register a car in France you need a certificate of conormity which you usually get from a main dealer, but we are unsure how to obtain one for a classic.  Can anyone advise please?

Vivien

Hi Vivien,

Having just bought a house in The Lot and having the same thought regarding my Spitfire 1500, I did a bit of research on some ex-pat websites and found very good reports for the Federation Francaise Des Vehicules D'Epoque - their website is here. I suggest you search a few of these ex-pat websites as your question is quite common.

I don't know how good your French is - mine isn't great - but you should be able to work your way through it with an online translator.

I believe that our cars are too old for a Certificate of Conformity but what you do need is a Carte Grise. I'm planning to get hold of a Heritage Certificate which I think will help the process.

I also came across this car insurance company for ex-pats which may also be of some help, even if it's just until you get settled and can find an insurance company specific for classic cars which I'm not sure if these people are or not.

I hope this helps and that you'll let us know how you get on.

Regards

Clive

Salut Vivian

I am in the process of having a Herald bought in the UK issued with French registration documents.

It isn’t unduly complicated, but there again I have been living here for over 20 years, taken French nationality and worked for French companies, but a little time and patience is needed.

In my case I want to have the car listed as a ‘voiture de collection’ rather than just an old car.

The advantages of doing this are that the Contrôle Technique (MOT) only has to be taken every 5 years not 2, and is less demanding. An insurance company can’t declare the car a right-off in the event of an accident. Although the registration that will be given to the car will be the new format I will have the right to fit old fashioned pressed aluminium plates not the modern reflective type, for me this is a big plus as it helps keep the car looking correct in my eyes.

If you want to simply register your car over here there will be less paperwork I am sure but the route will be similar.

To get the Carte Grise Collection (registration document) you will need your UK registration papers, of course.

Step 1: Go to a tax office that deals with VAT armed with the car’s paperwork something which proves your identity; I had my French identity card. The form they fill in is to show there is no VAT due on the imported car, being old the car is exempt but you need the VAT form REC 1993 filled in by them. The information needed is all on the UK paperwork plus note the mileage, the form is free and only takes a few minutes to complete. My local office obviously doesn’t get many requests as they had to use a copy already completed as a guide.

Step2: Download the form and notes from the FFVE site fill it in, a bit fiddly as it is designed for all sorts of vehicles from within and outside the EEC. Again most of the information needed is on your UK papers. The photos are important they are to show the car is sort of original, a snag for instance would be if your car had a V8 fitted instead of the original motor; if this is the case you might have to go for the ‘old car’ not ‘classic car’ Carte Grise. Although they asked for just 2 photos of the car itself I sent more – I know how to play the French system, if they ask for 1 document give them 3 !

Step 3: Make sure you include all the copies of documents asked for plus the cheque for 60 Euros. Send it off and wait. The delay being quoted when I sent mine off at the beginning of March was 10 weeks, it was 6 weeks, because they are getting so many applications incorrectly filled in or missing copies of documents.

While this is going through you can insure your car here on UK plates with a French company. Not all companies will accept UK plates though; I found one that does for a maximum period of 6 months to give time to sort out the paperwork.

Step 4: This will be my next move when I get the “attestation” back from the FFVE showing the car is a classic. Contrôle Technique, armed with everything, including the kitchen sink and cupboards, I will either go to the local test centre if they can cope with classic if not there is one 30 minutes away that, allegedly, can cope. Fingers crossed the car will pass, I am going to play the ‘this is the model of car I learnt to drive in 1970’ to distract them if necessary. Also important to make sure they mark the validity of the CT for 5 not 2 years.

Step 5: Finally the last hurdle, with everything French & English I will be off to the Sous Prefecture to get the Carte Grise and once I have that in my hands its round to the local car spares shop for the plates.

Simple really. :huh: 

Chris

Are there any restrictions associated with either of the 2 designations? Is one better (cheaper!) than the other?

Hours of usage, mileages?

You hunt at modifications, is it like the German system where everything has to be as it left the factory??

Cheers

Colin

Hi Thescrapman

I don’t know if the cost differs between a getting an imported old car registered with the Carte Grise Normale compared to a Carte Grise Collection. I chose the CGC for the reasons stated, even if the normal one is cheaper the difference wouldn’t be more than a couple of tanks of petrol. ^_^

There used to be geographic restrictions on where a car with a CGC could be taken in France, don’t know what they were. A couple of years ago it was revoked.

I doubt if the French are as fussy as the Germans, the only thing the FFVE seem to be concerned with is the engine being the same power/type as originally fitted. The exterior photos that have to be supplied would only show up major bodywork modifications. From what I’ve seen on the forum a high percentage of Heralds on the roads in Britain wouldn’t get a CGC as they have larger engines fitted, they would have to go for the CGN option.

At the end of the day the differences between the two will be important to some owners and of no interest to others.