Synchro springs 3 rail 4 syncro

Darron

https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-mainshaft-and-gears

from most listings  its unfortunate but you have a 1500   single rail sleeve at 29t  in a 3 rail box   

from my experience the single rail  hub is a loose fit on the 3 rail mainshaft   i have not found enough to say if a single rail sleeve will fit a 3 rail hub 

but think your box is a hotch pot of mixed up evolution  the hub part numbers are different 1 rail vs 3 rail 

best  maybe  to pick up a slave  3 rail 4 sycn box  

Pete

the problem is  the 34 t in the WSM is i believe a good old   triumph typo   its always been 33 on  3 rail  4 sync boxes

the fit and interference with first must be down to the wrong hub unit  3 rail and single are very different part numbers for a reason  you only get 29 t on a single rail 

sorry i dont have a pair to compare , but as said I have had the wrong ones in a spoof box i acquired and they dont work unless you want a rattling good fit 

Pete

Somewhere in the previous posts on this thread there was comment re selecting 1st & reverse together, I put the single rail internals into a Vit/GT6 3 rail gearbox case, a couple of issues I had were

1. The reverse selector lever (106254) wouldn't engage the reverse actuator (147394), serious realignment of the reverse operating lever (106254) was necessary as recommended by I think Marcus, after some serious bashing (2.7lb small sledge ex TVCWB Water Board in the NE of England 50yrs ago!) more than I was prepared to impale on the lever so I drilled & half cut thro lever and aligned it with the actuator then welded the lever up to make whole & strong again!
  2. The second issue was I selected both reverse and 1st together! In the norties when I first looked at this conversion and incorporating a J type O/D, I think it was John Kipping (by then living in NZ) responded advising to watch out and ensure I installed the washer (158585) in the reverse actuator shaft/rail as per 4 syncro Spit IV 3 rail gearbox (see Canley's MkIV gearbox drawing) or I would select both gears together. This washer is NLA by the usual suspects & I found mine ex USA, in reality it is no different to a std thin washer but I paid around $25 to buy and post to Aus, but at least I now knew what it was like!
  3. I also replaced the reverse idler (single rail) which was 21 teeth from the same US supplier.

It's been a while now since I did the conversion so I hope I've got my facts right as I think Pete L says age dims the memory!

Regards

Peter T

you could be right about the hub but its made more complicated because part number 515377 listed only for Mk1 Vit was superseeded by 516911 which Rimmers show is suitable for Mk1 and 2.

I think Darrens box must have all the internals of a single rail because to work it must have a 13 tooth laygear which surely has a different cut of gears and wouldnt work with the earlier main/input shaft ones. The only thing that doesnt add up is that Darren says its got the small mainshaft tip.... 

So finished work a bit earlier gone into the workshop and had a think with a good mate of mine who’s a engineer a Aston Martin ,to bounce some ideas ,033478D0-7992-4110-B5BA-070B2E096818.thumb.jpeg.792fe4b8873a5ac7639e565c27dc03d8.jpegpulled the main shaft out and looked at the hub to main shaft fit which is fairly snug but one question he brought up was the distances between the split thrust and the hub as shown in the two attached photos .So my question to guys is this normal !

A0FEF0AF-611B-434B-A894-294E4C358ED9.jpeg

Thanks for all the threads l have modified the reverse selector lever as Marcus  suggests heated it locally and bent it bit by bit untill it takes the back of the reverse idler gear to a few thou away from the first gear then measured and machined a new spacer sleeve which is just under a 1” that stops it touching the speed gear 

will check the rest of the teeth on the lay shaft a bit later Johny let you guys know 

Darron 

im pretty sure the hub float is normal its a common triumph design 

the idler is absurd . some very odd mesh alignment to wear teeth to that angle .  chimbles leading edge is one normal thing but i have never  seen spur teeth wear to that dramatic extent

pleased the hub is snug on the mainshaft

so this sums up its a 1500 spit single rail internals in a 3 rail case  to get the J type mainshaft and small tip spigot

thought for the day                  do you need reverse !!!!

Pete

my thought Pete is, was that idle gear in constant mesh with the syncro hub when it was in fiirst gear! because i moved the arm pivit piont back about 6mm(1/4)" and the orignal sleeve behind the gear had a extra spacer behind it, so it had to be in mesh in first, and because there is a tooth nearly missing this was making the knocking noise in first, and that the reason i took the box out !

Darron

to  get straight cut teeth to the angular wear there has to be something giving misalignment , under load ,,  free wheeling in mesh wont wear the tooth faces like yours exhibits 

thats very abnormal  what are the corresponding teeth like on the sleeve or layshaft     this wear patern is worrying 

ive built a couple of spitty boxes with vitesse clusters , just need the 2nd and 3rd gears to match , makes a better ratio box in my view 

Pete

That’s exactly what went through my mind I think I’m heading towards taking some material off the back of the gear to allow it to go back a few thou so it doesn’t interfere With the hub it is only a reverse idler and there is plenty of material, only problem is it’s too hard to machine on a lathe will have to improvise with the lathe and a grinder !

Darron

To my eyes, your gearset looks like late TR7 (UKC8749 cluster), built into a 3-rail casing. But retaining a small-tip J-type main shaft (late Spitfire Mk.IV 1300?)...

UKC8749 top, UKC8963 (late Dolly 1850) bottom, only difference is second gear helix angle.

clusters.thumb.jpg.d39d1a5c003bb556197c74f2379a599b.jpg

The part number for the 17T idler gear is UKC8750. The hub is UKC8748, you should still be able to find these parts somewhere. The Midget 1500 and Marina used these parts, Austin-Rover part number for the hub is DAM3982, these have a better made inner (forged not cast).

For your reverse gear problems, it's worth checking the spacer is correct too (apologies if I haven't quite understood the issue):

https://www.triumphexp.com/forum/spitfire-and-gt6-forum.8/close-ratio-spitfire-gearbox.927491.1259499/#msg-1259499

See post #55.