Synchro springs 3 rail 4 syncro

Darron

Thank you Jumpingfrog  

just had a quick look on that Webb site and there is so much information , interesting about the reverse idler gear being in partial mesh as this is what mine is doing I assumed it shouldn’t be touching this is why I was on for taking some material off ,and when I stripped the box there was a extra washer behind the standard size spacer

Darron

What do guys think about the link jumping frog sent about the idler gear running in partial mesh in certain gearbox ! And the fact that some first gears are thicker .

i dropped the layshaft into night and the position I have for the idler slightly rubbed the shaft on the first gear so bit the bullet and removed 20 thou off the back of gear !! This gearbox project as certainly turned into a ball ache of a challenge, but so glad of the information, experience and general enthusiasm friendliness of you guys on this forum ,thank you 

Darron

What a fantastic thread this topic has been I wish it had run a couple of years ago when I transposed a single rail internals into a GT6 3 rail case with J type addition.

Yesterday I had a EUREKA moment realizing why I had to slog hell out of the 3 rail reverse idler lever, why because the sleeve on the singe rail was longer at 1.08in which put the idler gear further forward and hence the top of the lever backwards, happy now I understand why!

The single rail I converted was probably a MG Midget box as I brought it attached to a Midget 1500 engine.. I'll have to read the post where it refers to the Midget & Marina box's were slightly different.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a Triumph history of the development, changes and differences (& why) of the Spit, Herald, GT6, Vitesse, Dolomites, TR7, Midget & Marina box's

Thanks everyone for your input, now to print out the whole thread with the T/Enthusiasts references attached and highlight what I'm interested in and keep for prosperity!

I have a Single Rail Dolly 1850 J type box which I want to fit into a 3 Rail case for my Mk2 Vitesse, will be interested in what the internal spec is!  Or do I just change the mainshaft in the existing Vit box and add J type, tempting! I have a new small nose OD mainshaft.

Peter T

pete as i managed to get hold of a spare box to use as spares it had a single rail 1/2 hub on a 3rail mainshaft   was a rattling good fit  so swapping the mainshaft is 

unlikely to fit ..  there are some  slpine differences ,apart from the sleeve tooth count    didnt study it much sold the hub on 

Pete

Even gents

I think i have enough information and know how to rebuild the gearbox now , there is one more thing i would like to run past you guys my 1/2 syncro hub sleeve has its teeth well chimbled as you can see looking back on this thread , so my question is, as i have this box completley apart, with out buying the complete hub from Mick Dolphin for over £150, there is just the outer sleeve for a marina box brand new pattern for £50 is it worth buying or not ! i have added the link below, thank you all again

Darron

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Marina-Gearbox-Hub-1ST-2ND-LATE-29-Teeth/113867460869?hash=item1a83079105:g:5rkAAOSw8WpdS~T4

Pete I would use the TKC899 O/D small tip mainshaft with my existing original Vitesse Mk2 3 rail gearbox & attach the Dolly J type1850 O/D onto that. I'd have to get another Spit MkIV J type adapter, which are getting close to NLA though. 

Alternatively I'd have to pull my daughters Spit gearbox J type with Spit 1500 single rail sandwiched into a 3 rail remove it's MkIV adapter with additional spacer (won't go down well) and use the J type Dolly 1850 adapter on that box. a lot of work! I'll contemplate that and might wait till next winter.

Regards

Peter T

• 2 weeks later...

Evening

so gearbox and overdrive all back together, new 2 litre borg and beck clutch ready to install couple of question to you guys out there ,i have access to plenty of commer manual gear oil fully synthetic which i will attach a photo of its 75w/90 gl4 can i use this in the GB/OD and secondly the clutch fork looks in good condition apart from a couple of stress marks which you will be able to see in a attached photo is it worth me running a tig weld over them or will that cause it to get even more stressed as i have read somewhere that these do crackIMG_0585.thumb.jpg.7d7743fbc37cf65bcbc6b8193935da13.jpgIMG_0586.thumb.jpg.fadcbfacfd758378a4328773b5424cae.jpgIMG_0587.thumb.jpg.9f8ba85110c2db523ca6ae98f984c20e.jpg

41 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

yep looks quite workable  , you have the dimpled groove , guess introduced as cheaper to maufacture 

this just stops the carrier spinning on the front cover making wear  and lumpy pedal actions 

Yes, it is NOT damage and does not necessitate the sourcing of a replacement - which also has the dimple.

Been there... but in my defence, I was advised by someone who back in those days should have known better!

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Just a quick up date for all you guys that had a in put to this thread after putting everything back together over Christmas period new year and the last few week ends took the vitesse for its first drive in the best weather for a long time, and needless to say everything was spot on sweet as a nut it’s never felt better so a big   thank you to all who contributed 

thankyou

Regards 

Darron

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

can anybody explain more about the anti-rotation  'dimple'.

On the early TR's, a Bronze bearing carrier, flat faced bearing and spring cover is used with no dimple. The carrier can spin on the GB extension and appears to work well/

On the later cars (4A/5/6) they have a steel carrier, coned bearing and diaphragm pressure plate. These tend to have an anti-rotation pin.

I have seen a dimpled Bronze carrier in one of my rebuilds but put it down to 'damage' having not known about such a thing.

A coupe of suppliers are now selling Brass carriers for use with the spigot pin fork - bad news - they wear very quickly.

So. a question - why would an expensive Bronze carrier be stopped from spinning when  a cheaper steel item would do the job.

Roger

Roger, As you say if there is no pin or dimple then the release bearing carrier/sleeve will tend to rotate. However, this rotation after a time can generate a squealing noise due to wear and in this case not due to a worn release bearing.  Been their back in the 1960's. I suspect it was originally intended to allow the sleeve to rotate, hence the use of bronze. But, a service/production mod came out to stop this i.e. the dimple. To me it makes sense not to rotate as that is the purpose of the release bearing.

On the  six cylinder engines the steel type sleeve and pin was fitted to 1970's cars. A smaller version of the steel type was also used on the small four cylinder engine Triumphs e.g.  Herald/Spits.

The bronze type was fitted to the Vitesse and the dimple should be there.

Dave