Removal of Quarterlight Glass to fit New Rubbers

martyn wright

Hi All!  Vitesse 6 Conv - 1966   I managed to get new Q/Light Rubbers and set about fitting them?  Firstly I tried to remove the Nut that holds the Spring in place at the bottom, but the Nut was so rusty it snapped!  Just leaving the Bolt in place with no Tread?  Then I drilled the two rivets out at the top and removed the Q/Light.  I tried doing the same on the Second Q/Light but the whole of the Bolt and Nut came away from the bottom of the Quarterlight?  Any Ideas how to get around this problem on both Bolts & Nuts Please!  Cheers martyn

ive seen many broken but not had to repair one  as yet but .................

could a new stud be made by fitting a shaved head bolt but needs the glass and rubber removing...not easy 

or weld a new stud with wet cloth to soak heat away from the glass rubber  ?????  

let us know what works  there will be more ideas im sure 

Pete

Hi Pete!  I managed to save part of the stud as the nut  snapped just below the spring!  I re cored the stud and will cut the spring a bit shorter. But had to drill out the rivets to fit the stud thro the rubber on the bottom, and work the rubber seal all the way up after.  The glass swivels well and it all works fine!!    Unfortunately on the other Quarterlight, The stud snapped off high up so am presently soaking the old glass, to allow me to remove the glass surround so I can drill out the remainder of the stud?  to fit the new bolt?  Its a tricky job and time consuming!  Cheers for your comments...Martyn

• 5 months later...

Just to resurrect an older thread, but I'm exploring options for repair and replacement of the top rivet, the domed brass version that once removed cannot be replaced again! 

I've searched for brass dome-headed rivets but I'm not yet sure of the size required; has anyone tried them? I've tried a nut and bolt but it looks terrible, even without the paint damage and the extra washers that I'll remove asap, so am exploring options.

Any suggestions?

DSCF8459.jpg.ebc807eae0320d3d22f14db2119e03c0.jpg  DSCF8458.jpg.7f0d9cb26ee22d5a18453b5a873fccad.jpg

alibaba-brass-domed-head-solid-rivets.jpg_350x350.jpg.5f18c6679cea1d5800e502007ea16f0d.jpg