1960s Metallic Triumph paint?

John Fernihough

Hi Guys,

My first post here, I’ll be posting the restoration progress so far up here soon.

I’m restoring a 1966 triumph spitfire. Irish built car and I cannot figure out the correct original colour. I have a good sample of it behind the dashboard and the paint is metallic green. Is anyone aware of a light/medium metallic green from triumph from this time period? So far, my best guess is the green found on the Aston Martin Zagato. The commission tag says 1 for the paint code. I am not sure if this is the original tag or has been replaced and the number copied wrongly. BMH cannot provide original specification as records weren't kept for Irish built cars.  If it is not a standard Triumph paint colour, is anyone aware of how triumph would mark these commission number plates?

If anyone has any info or opinions that’d be greatly appreciated

2-DE7936-C-1-BFB-42-B8-BC5-A-984-A2-FEC1-E60.jpg

0981-A7-E4-44-BD-4605-906-C-B3322-F14-C7-AE.jpg

CDBB65-FA-1-AD2-4-B2-B-A793-0192-B2-B9-DC09.jpg

E1-E6-F47-A-A227-4-CA5-B671-38783-BC46825.jpg

E65-D30-A9-A872-446-C-A9-C7-8-E7474-E04-A2-A.jpg

I don't think Triumphs used metallic paint on spitfires...

A better location for original paint is up under the dash section, so behind teh areas you have pictured. Though ideally you want the paint code off the commission plate. If that is missing, a heritage certificate would reveal all:

https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive/heritage-certificates

On 20/12/2019 at 11:00, Pete Lewis said:

where's Colin when you need him  ????  he stands a chance of knowing some of the Irish    build history

Anaesthetic is wearing off but floating on Cloud 9 on painkillers wheeeee!

I know that Heralds when sent CKD were sometimes painted in whatever paint was available locally to the assembly area and so while it may be green, it may not be any officially recognised Triumph colour. Astons were painted in metallic green and it's a lovely colour -  see photo - so could easily have been purloined for a Triumph, maybe even at the buyer's request. That's the first I've ever heard of Tara green, I know TR7s had a metallic green but it differs vastly in shade from John's car. I must do a bit more research and see what's thrown up.

Aston-Martin-after-1960s.jpg.76532ed30765644894419986f9bf0e51.jpg