LOOK PETE---WOT NO SUs

PatK

At long last Pete I have finally ditched the oversize SU HS6s and managed to locate a Vitesse 2L Mk2 inlet manifold. Cleaned it up with a new Banjo bolt and stainless 3 way water channel, plus a kind member managed to find a correct pair of 150 CDS carbs. Completely overhauled them with a Burlen kit and now the Vitesse is running and idling so smoothly and the choke works correctly too.  So you were right Pete those SUs were wrong for the car and overfuelling it. So a big thanks Pete and especially to please you I have removed Satan's oil feed to the rockers!

Now all that remains is for someone to identify the manifold that the twin Su HS6s were on, shown in photo 2 below. I think that the blanking plug has been fitted because the vent from the rocker cover was fed straight to each carb and no brake servo was needed on the Vitesse. Is it a Triumph 2000, 2500, or TR ?  Thanks,      Pat

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1242.jpg

Pat youre too kind  ,its how i felt on a drive including the shot gearbox  

Im pleased its how Triumph intended , and performs better  than the supposed upgrade ......had a local car thats been through the same as youres. 

its also much smoother and better all round 

its another one of the Must haves that cause chaos to many twiddlers

now I have  got  this orrible thought to make a bid and make my 2000 (HS4 )  into the TC spec which used HS6  seeing as you have the 6s

but not the angled  manifold  Ha!!!  ( phew   Im saved )

but i dont have the get up and go just yet  and the orrible 4s  do seem ok , it will never set a record for anything , but gets there pretty well on song.

Pete

23 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

2500pi  2500S   engine is  angled same as 2000  2000TC  ,  

TR6 on carbs were  generally  on strombergs 

its what had 6pots and HS6   and upright or has the face been re machined  ????

Pete

No Pete the intake face is parallel to the carb face..     Pat

23 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Pat,

the manifold is not off a TR2 -6. They do not have the water heating system like that.

roger

Thanks Roger, the mystery deepens, also the SU HS6s have 4 holes on their mating face,  and this manifold only has 2, so the SUs were only attached by 2 studs.     Pat

On 25/01/2020 at 10:07, RogerH said:

Hi Pat,

the manifold is not off a TR2 -6. They do not have the water heating system like that.

roger

Didn't the TR6 have a different setup for the North American market? Must do a quick search...

Back again; this is the only photo I could find, from Rimmers' site:

308088U.jpg.3bb964ddcb1fe5273aac9d8e3ff8a0c5.jpg

Hard to tell from that angle but it looks close to the one in the photo further up.

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Didn't the TR6 have a different setup for the North American market? Must do a quick search...

Back again; this is the only photo I could find, from Rimmers' site:

308088U.jpg.3bb964ddcb1fe5273aac9d8e3ff8a0c5.jpg

Hard to tell from that angle but it looks close to the one in the photo further up.

Thanks Colin, it does look similar, except the one I have only has two stud holes and the SUs were only attached by the 2 studs despite having 4 stud holes.     Pat

5 hours ago, NonMember said:

Are the HS6 holes on the same PCD as the 175CD? I know the HS4 and 150CD are different but I don't know whether you can put SUs on a TR250 manifold.

I don't know what the PCD is on the Stromberg 175, CD, but if it only has 2 studs to attach it like the 150CD, then this manifold could be for 175 CDs. Thanks.   Pat

7 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

sounds a bit of a hybrid     not many upright 6 pots on HS6  

TR5 /250 had strombergs  175CD with 4 studs    about as close as i can see 

Pete

Its a mystery Pete as this one only has 2 studs.   Pat

1 hour ago, PatK said:

I don't know what the PCD is on the Stromberg 175, CD, but if it only has 2 studs to attach it like the 150CD, then this manifold could be for 175 CDs. Thanks.   Pat

I think the 175CD have four studs but that manifold is clearly designed for a four stud fitting, it just looks to be missing some studs.

On 24/01/2020 at 20:30, Pete Lewis said:

Pat youre too kind  ,its how i felt on a drive including the shot gearbox  

Im pleased its how Triumph intended , and performs better  than the supposed upgrade ......had a local car thats been through the same as youres. 

its also much smoother and better all round 

its another one of the Must haves that cause chaos to many twiddlers

now I have  got  this orrible thought to make a bid and make my 2000 (HS4 )  into the TC spec which used HS6  seeing as you have the 6s

but not the angled  manifold  Ha!!!  ( phew   Im saved )

but i dont have the get up and go just yet  and the orrible 4s  do seem ok , it will never set a record for anything , but gets there pretty well on song.

Pete

Hi Pete, why does the intake manifold need to be angled upwards on the 2000, won't a parallel intake face and carb face work? Checked it recently and it is only angled upwards by approx 4 degrees. Thanks Pete.     Pat

22 hours ago, NonMember said:

I think the 175CD have four studs but that manifold is clearly designed for a four stud fitting, it just looks to be missing some studs.

True, but only 2 stud holes have been drilled and tapped on it, its all a bit of a mystery. Thanks.    Pat

23 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

MossUSA show this  item#1  https://mossmotors.com/triumph-tr6-250/fuel-intake-emissions/manifolds-1

Looks a little similar. 

Roger

Thanks Roger, I think that you are getting close there, it looks identical except that it only has 2 studs and the other positions have not been drilled and tapped.   Thanks.   Pat