Rust under wheel arches

Hi All,

Can anyone advise the best way to treat the rust I have unearthed in my rear wheel arches of my 1500 spitfire ?

I am thinking,

1 rust converter

2 etch primer

3 seam sealer

4 primer

5 this is where I am stuck, I would like to have it body colour underneath but it obviously needs some stone chip protection, so can I spray paint (Tahiti blue incase you wondered) on under seal ? and do I have to remove all the other old stuff first ? please see pictures, I was lucky only surface rust under to old under seal :)

Thanks very much, really appreciated the advise.

IMG_0434.jpg

It depends on the finish you yourself want. If you want blue, you'll have to remove all the old underseal then a good primer and stonechip will prime nicely for the topcoat. If you just want a durable finish then you can rub down with a wire brush, kill the rust with Jenolite (if they still sell that sort of thing) and brush new underseal over it all. 

Main thing is to either kill or remove the rust, down to bare metal, then you can prime with a good rustkilling primer, stonechip on top and finally topcoat. I'd get a fine wire wheel attachment for a drill or grinder and take that rust right back, then treat and spray. Having said that, both my GT6 and my TR7 have black wheelarches as it was much easier than removing all of the old underseal that a PO had brushed on. Once the wheels are on, it's hard to see.

DSCF6393.jpg.96ec35ad8153dbd5013ffeca0e2b8bad.jpg

1) rub down thoroughly. You can get black Scotchbrite disks to fit an electric drill, to do this nicely.

2) treat with Jenolite or similar

3) decent quality rustkilling primer

4) stone chip resistant primer

5) top coat. You won't get a shiny finish but it'll be body colour and a lot more resilient than you might think.

As Colin says, removing all the old underseal is the hard part.

Hi Alan,

the surface rust under the existing coating will keep growing - albeit slowly. But grow it will.

I would be tempted to remove all the paint/underseal until I got to clean metal.

if you have a grit blaster then that would be tops. Otherwise sanding disc etc etc.

KuRust over ALL the area.  Force as much into the seam as possible.  To kill whatever is left behind

2 coats of  Bondarust primer to seal the surface

Stone chip - Gravitex etc 

Top coat

Roger