Oil filter conundrum

PatrickB02

21 hours ago, classiclife said:

Hello Peter,

On the Vitesse, the orange FRAM filter sits at about 50 degrees - I have yet to fit the Mann filter but will be doing so in the next couple of weeks with a pencilled in oil change. Once done, I will post photos of the Mann filter in situ.

Regards.

Richard.

I have used the same Fram one for years on my Vitesse,i bought 2 of the 714/2 ones to compare,i would be a bit loathed to move the filter mount downwards on its seal for fear of leaks or damaging it.

I will fit it in a couple of weeks when i can get to my lockup.

Current issue is bloody mice which had a nibble on my newly made Bond seat squabs.Caught 2 of the buggers so far.

Steve

3 minutes ago, Steve P said:

have used the same Fram one for years on my Vitesse,i bought 2 of the 714/2 ones to compare,i would be a bit loathed to move the filter mount downwards on its seal for fear of leaks or damaging it.

Hello Steve,

I have also used these FRAM filters for years and never had an issue - I purchased a job lot of 24x some time ago.

When I renew the oil filter I take the whole assembly off the block as find it easier to remove the canister and replace with new. Touch wood never had an issue with leaks to date - that's has probably done it now 😊 !!

Regards.

Richard.

The original conversion kit came with one outer sealing O ring and two inner O rings. You only needed one of each type, that is one outer and one inner.

The problem was the two inner rings supplied were of different thickness. If you fitted the fatter one then the outer edge of the adaptor didn't compress down sufficiently on the outer ring. This of course resulted in leaks. There weren't any instructions on which was the correct inner O ring for your application, just trial and error.

I wonder if anybody else has come across this.

Dave

1 hour ago, dave.vitesse said:

The original conversion kit came with one outer sealing O ring and two inner O rings. You only needed one of each type, that is one outer and one inner.

The problem was the two inner rings supplied were of different thickness. If you fitted the fatter one then the outer edge of the adaptor didn't compress down sufficiently on the outer ring. This of course resulted in leaks. There weren't any instructions on which was the correct inner O ring for your application, just trial and error.

I wonder if anybody else has come across this.

Dave

They used to supply a piece of plasticene or Blu-Tack; the imprint left when you tightened the adaptor against the block with the Blu-Tack in between revealed which ring to use.

• Like 1