Steering boss thread

Hi everyone

does anyone know what thread the steering boss lock but is? It’s some sort of 9/16” fine thread by the looks of it. 
is it unf? Need a nut!

by the way, had to source a steering wheel boss, and wasn’t going to pay crazy BB money, turns out a 16mm Mazda ones fits perfectly 

1 hour ago, Nigel Clark said:

According to the the factory WSM, it's 9/16" Whitworth, torque to 28-30 lb ft.

Nigel

OK, are we all talking about the same 105438 thread because the boss nut is pretty fine and certainly not 9/16-12 Whitworth. (Whitworth 1/2" tap next to boss nut).

I think you're better of buying the nut.

David

image20200412_112832101.jpg

13 minutes ago, Mad4classics said:

OK, are we all talking about the same 105438 thread because the boss nut is pretty fine and certainly not 9/16-12 Whitworth. (Whitworth 1/2" tap next to boss nut).

I think you're better of buying the nut.

David

image20200412_112832101.jpg

Strange, the WSM definitely says 9/16" Whit, but I see what you mean about the Whitworth thread being coarser.

Nigel

its odd the 2000 wsm  torques shows as 11/16 whit   and 1" 1/16"  its no way a course whit thread    the GT6/Vit  shows as 9/16" whit  these

are    1  /1/16"  is 7tpi   11/16 is  11tpi      and 9/16  is 12tpi  the nuts are in general all a fine thread 

so whats going on with triumph typo's  i dont get it    the nuts down here are definitely  FINE threads 

Nut - Steering Wheel Securing - 105438

for some misguided reason so many of the hand wheel nuts are abused with chisels and punches rather than a socket to fit ,

lost count of the annihilated  nut faces ive seen over the years 

its obviously rocket science I mean  after all  .........its only your steering wheel   

Pete ..............having a grumpy day  

1 hour ago, dave.vitesse said:

The later Spit 1500, 1975 - on, has the same nut as the TR7, 13466, and a similar steering column. If I remember its also the same as the Dolomite and maybe the 2000. The good old parts bin again.

Its the heat Pete.

Dave

That’s what worries me, knowing my luck I have bought the wrong one. 

6 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

If you have a wiper controlling stalk on the column then it's the later nut that's required.

Dave

Hi Dave

there lies my problem. I bought my spit part by part. It is a mid engined spitfire based on a VW Passat with a 1.8t engine and transaxle where your dif is. All I can tell is the steering column nut thread is 14mm 9/16”

😁

Hmm.. After some carefull measuring I think the early thread is 9/16 x 28-UNIFIED. I haven't got an example of the later boss thread so can't comment on what that is.

The unified thread series covers UNC, UNF, UNEF and several constant pitch series: 4-UN, 6-UN, 8-UN, 12-UN, 16-UN, 20-UN, 28-UN and 32-UN.

In amounst my boxes of bits I've found two 5/8 x 28-UN nuts; must be off a car I've had at some point in time; steering column boss maybe? So perhaps not so uncommon a thread.

David