Vitesse 6 starting problem

Bobtaylor

Like some others my understanding of electrics is a bit lacking!

When I turn the ignition to the first part the warning lights come on, when I turn the key the rest of the way....nothing, not even a click. With ignition left on it starts using the button on the solenoid no problem. My logic is therefore that the starter/solenoid and connections to the battery must be ok. Does that mean that the fault lies with the ignition switch? It started fine yesterday!!!

Any ideas welcomed.

Bob

It certainly seems like that; the button starts it but the key doesn't. You haven't dislodged a wire from the rear of the key?

You could remove and clean the ignition switch and see if that helps, or err on the side of caution and fit a replacement; however have a look at the spade terminal on the solenoid in case it's not making the best connection due to dirt or movement. It may be worth crimping on a new terminal and cleaning up the solenoid terminal for a better connection.

It could be the switch but I'd suspect elsewhere. The wiring from the switch to the solenoid (at least two spade connectors to dislodge or to suffer from corrosion) or the solenoid itself (I've had a few of them fail the coil, or go weak so there's still a click but nothing more, and yet work fine with the button still) or even the way the solenoid is mounted (the coil earths through the body).

A good test to do, with ignition on or off, is to take a bit of wire from battery +ve to the solenoid's small terminal (assuming it's an early type with only one small terminal). If that engages the starter then your fault is either the ignition switch or the wiring.

Checked everything as per the above advice. No joy. I had this problem last year and ended up putting a new ignition switch in. It was fine for ages then the problem started again. I just put the original switch back on, same problem.

I started it on the solenoid and took it for a quick run down the road, less than a mile, came back turned off the engine and it then started on the key. I tried it several times and all seems ok!!!!!!!

What difference can a short drive make that at least temporarily resolves the problem? I am baffled. Any more ideas?

Cheers Bob.

PS It was nice to actually have a drive even though it was a quick trip !

Is the solenoid clicking when you turn the key? It may be the heat from the now-running engine that has freed it up, or the push button making a better connection that initially activates it; you may find that once freed up, or warmed up, it will work for a time, then stop again until freed up once more. I'd change the solenoid, if you've already changed the key and found no difference. I suspect that it's sticking and needs a lot of current to activate it, which it gets initially from the new switch then after a time reverts back to normal.

Yes, as Colin says, it sounds like the solenoid is on its way out. BUT... also worth checking it's properly earthed, as a poor connection to the body could leave it just marginal so that the freshly charged battery from your run down the road is enough to make the difference.

33 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Is the solenoid clicking when you turn the key? It may be the heat from the now-running engine that has freed it up, or the push button making a better connection that initially activates it; you may find that once freed up, or warmed up, it will work for a time, then stop again until freed up once more. I'd change the solenoid, if you've already changed the key and found no difference. I suspect that it's sticking and needs a lot of current to activate it, which it gets initially from the new switch then after a time reverts back to normal.

No there is no clicking noise from the solenoid. I did buy a new solenoid before that I never fitted as it does not have a button on it. I have a brand new battery too.

On 21/04/2020 at 14:05, NonMember said:

Did you do the "wire to the solenoid" test?

It has been working ok for a few days, I am assuming that the "wire test" is to be done when the car is not starting? I then run the wire from pos battery to solenoid and if still does not work it means the solenoid is faulty?

Bob

1 hour ago, Bobtaylor said:

It has been working ok for a few days, I am assuming that the "wire test" is to be done when the car is not starting? I then run the wire from pos battery to solenoid and if still does not work it means the solenoid is faulty?

Yes, although not working at that point may mean faulty solenoid or it could be that it's not correctly earthed. A second wire from the solenoid body to battery negative will distinguish between.