Brake servo installation

Kevin.payne.15

I've found that the brake servo points forward and slightly upwards to such an extent that it's been rubbing on the bonnet. Looking at other installations then some go sideways. Which is correct? I think mine a proper Lockheed one. The mounting bracket holes don't match the pre drilled holes on the horizontal surface of the bulkhead

Does anyone have an installation guide that I could have a copy of please to work out what it should look line and what goes where

Thanks

Kevin

Here's the Lockheed installation document, I hope!

The servo tilts upwards so as you don't get air trapped in the servo slave cylinder when you bleed the brakes. It's between 20 and 45 degrees if memory serves, so it's not super critical.

I made cardboard triangles to check I'd got it right and mines only just over 20 degrees. I can't see that slightly less will make a lot of difference. All you have to do is bend the bracket.

The air intake has to go downwards also to aid bleeding.

I had a Girling which I've replaced with a Lockheed so the mounting holes are in different places, yours may be the same.

Mine sits sideways across the bulkhead, I mean slave cylinder parallel to the windscreen but I have seen others at right angles, it doesn't matter.

RemoteServo.pdf

And another thing! :D

There are two brackets holding mine, the large angled back plate and a bracing strap attached to the servo slave cylinder. With just the back plate mine did bounce around a bit. You really don't want your brake pipes flexing so I attached the bracing strap which came with the kit. I'm not sure if yours has the strap if it's facing forward so maybe sideways is best.

Sorry just re read the reply and seen that it points sideways. Mine is Lockheed

I presume that this explains why the bolt holes are not used on the bulkhead

I've just read the manual sent by you and it appears that I'm also meant to have a non return valve in the vacuum loop. Mine doesn't have one either -does yours ? Is it critical ? Kevin

Yes, I saw that, odd isn't it? There's already a non return valve on the servo. I had a look around the internet and the reasoning was all a bit woolly some say it aids the servo vacuum. I might fit one, see if it improves anything. I go to the Thames and the East Berks club meetings and no one owned up to having a secondary valve.

The fuel trap is a good idea though, stopped my vacuum gauge clogging up.  

What car do you have? Mine's a late GT6 mk3 non rotoflex. On these a Girling servo was fitted as standard. Girling don't have a good reputation and many people swap them for Lockheed even if they're not broken.

Doug

Mine is a late mk 3 non roto. Model

I'll take a look and swap the orientation round to see if that helps the clash with the bonnet

A number of things on the car a a bit cobbled together so I could have brackets from one and a unit from another make. On mone the brake pipe is in mid air so suspect it's not from new

Where does one get a fuel trap then please?

Regards

Kevin

no leave all alaone 

all the servo kits sold now are universal. means nothing fits anything its a kit of bits you make fit ...some how

explains why installations vary ( apart form OE fitment)

without any clues way back we fitted one on the Vit6 by shortening the battery tray and fitting it in the gap 

post-14-0-79937200-1432755200_thumb.jpg

Er. The picture of the Vitesse has rather spooked me. Mine points exactly 180 deg in the opposite direction to this ! I was getting comfortable with the side to side orientation Any idea what the oem solution was since if I'm going to muck around I might as well and try and get it to look right

Kevin

Looking at the thumbnail the servo doesn't look like it will fit any other way. However, it's on a Vitesse and you have a GT6. The OEM solution on GT6 was a Girling servo which looks like this:

http://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-gt6-mkiii-servo-assembly-fitted-from-commission-no-ke/kf20001

The Girling sat in the side to side orientation. The Lockheed is a tight squeeze side to side but will fit. If yours is mounted forwards and the servo slave cylinder is touching the underside of the bonnet, I suspect there isn't room for the second mounting bracket. This should be fitted to hold the servo solidly on the bulkhead and stop the brake pipes flexing.

the WSM shows the  GT6 servo on the baulkhead shelf with a support off the gusset plate to the left of the heater intakebetween gusset and cyl head

its horizontal and cyl faces rearwards .

the girling  universal units will operate horizontal but bleeding all air out could be a problem 

Pete

Here's a Girling installed on a MK3

servo%202_zpsmqsxmuvy.jpg

And here is a Lockheed.

Servo%203_zpskb81wnq9.jpg

Both are good Servos. The reason I chnaged to Lockheed when my Girling Powerstop needed replacing was that it was more expensive to have the Girling Rebuilt than to buy a new Lockheed and also there was a 6 week leadtime. At the time the only place I could find that did rebuilds or supplied seal kits was Norton Classic Servos, a one man band hence the long leadtime. They are no longer trading though and I belive the seal kits are now available elsewhere.

One advantage of the Lockheed is that it has a slightly higher boost ratio than the Girling but it is a faff to fit and if a Girling rebuild was available off the shelf at a reasonable cost I probably wouldn't have swapped.

Here's a picture I've just seen of a Girling mounted across the bulkhead. It's on an American LHD but I'm pretty sure that's how mine was. I don't know why mine and Cookie's are at 90 degrees to one another. The only difference I can think of is that mine was a factory fitted standard while Andy's car is a couple of months older and the servo would have been an option or an after market addition.

post-809-0-85015400-1433755663_thumb.jpg

Yes, mimosa. I'm fortunate that the car generally is in very good condition, although there are always things I find that need doing!

I keep meaning to paint the servo but I'm reluctant to take it off in case it's difficult to bleed afterwards.

The car has a 2.5 PI engine which was already fitted when i got it, as was the alloy rocker cover so I don't know if it was an easy fit or not, sorry.......