1970 Vitesse fuel tank

VixenPPP

Hi all...I need to replace a leaking fuel tank. The drain plug & pipe has been removed and patched and that's where it leaks. It is a six screw type sender. I've bid for one on eBay, clearly the same size tank, but now I'm not sure wether it has the locking ring type sender. Does it make a difference ?

Thanks...Neil

you can cut the 6 hole sender disc ti fit in a bayonet ring tank i did this on my Vit 6 quite successfully just make sure its arm is able to sweep verticaly , you dont have the position location 

of the bayonet sender  ( i dont think 6 hole or bayonet determines the gauge type Im sure there were 6 hole 'stabilised' used )

if you have early non stabilised gauges you cannot use the later sender , they are not interchangable and have totally different resistance setting 

the early sender is not overly available , should anyone need to replace then a change to a stabilised system with a VS and new gauge to match the new sender will be the alternative 

with the drain rmoved at least getting the tank out is much less of a fiddle 

simple test if unsure stabilised gauges    are a slow moving  needle and non stabilised have a instant and wiggly needle 

Pete

On 28/04/2020 at 08:33, Pete Lewis said:

if you have early non stabilised gauges you cannot use the later sender , they are not interchangable and have totally different resistance setting 

Interesting! I was intending to use a later larger tank for my early 1200, which is bayonet fitting, but I'm also using an early speedo with the red high-beam warning light, which has the voltage stabiliser so I'm assuming it's a match. The car originally came with the 6-screw sender so there must be 6-screw stabilised, and non-stabilised, versions. I wonder how you tell the difference?

i found out  the hard way without thinking (happens more often these days) 

put a new tank in the VIt6 and ordered a bayonet fit to go with it , the Vit6 being moving iron non stabilised got some really odd readings hence the idea to cut the disc down and fitted in the bayonet holder 

as new only the  herald small tank is available from fitchetts  but that gained some more picnic space in the boot , !!

Pete

My Vitesse was completely restored about 1992. I've been looking at the pics album and the reg. No. is different. The chassis No. is H056210 ( CV )so this seems fine. It looks like the tank has been changed for a six screw job. As mentioned it should be the 12v thingie which I understand little about. It is the larger one. As Pete Lewis says the six screw are rare. At the risk of repeating myself can I just fit a bayonet type ? Mick Dolphin did his best to help He has pages and pages of spares on his website.....Thanks...Neil

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID007811

rimmers list bayonet and six hole that would  be for stabilised gauges which is what you should have on a 70s vitesse

Mk1 onwards were all stabilised gauges 

its the 6 hole for a 1600 that would be rare to find  but you dont need that one 

and if you find the replacement is a bayonet, dont waste your money  just carefully trim the sender disc around the holes and it will fit in the bayonet ring tank

you will just need the sealing ring 

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi all..Back to my first post. Having repaired the old ( herald )tank . I now have a six screw tank off a Mk 1 2 litre Vitesse. The sender is jamed I'm hoping to free it off. The tank looks in good condition...need to get the muck out of course. Will it go in my 1970 Vitesse okay ? 

Cheers...Neil.

How the heck do you get the O/D solenoid bottom bolt out...cor blimey !

54 minutes ago, VixenPPP said:

Hi all..Back to my first post. Having repaired the old ( herald )tank . I now have a six screw tank off a Mk 1 2 litre Vitesse. The sender is jamed I'm hoping to free it off. The tank looks in good condition...need to get the muck out of course. Will it go in my 1970 Vitesse okay ? 

They're all mostly interchangeable so you'll have no problems fitting one Vitesse tank into another Vitesse.

Just for interest' sake, I found this selection of senders for sale a while back from a Kit Car suppliers, it appears you just buy the length you need and bend to shape of the original. They'll have more modern internals so probably stabilised only but I must try to find them again and confirm the size of the mounting plate, in case they're too far out for our cars. The one in the link at the bottom  is 6-hole for a 43mm hole and a 75mm flange, with an extra connection for a low fuel warning light.

Might be of interest to somebody!

672851086__57-9.jpg.893b3ba737d7558159324ba29ac85ffb.jpg

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/fuel-tank-sender-6-hole-flange