Spin off oil filter adaptor

Iain T

Morning All,

When I unbolted the adaptor from the block the assembly 'exploded' into its constituent parts and fell into the dirty oil pan! I assume the threaded banjo tab is only there to align the centre part and spring while bolting assembly onto the block. This tab retains the centre part and spring, am I right is assuming to reassemble providing the centre is proud of the main body ie positive pressure on the centre seal, the system will work or is there a set offset distance? 

Thanks as usual

Iain

IMG_20200428_124105_resized_20200429_102953265.jpg

IMG_20200428_124115_resized_20200429_102953515.jpg

These adaptors can be tricky. You appear to have the later version with the spring-loaded clip on the central mounting bolt. It's very important this is fitted correctly, with the clip floating on the plain section of the bolt above the thread. These clips can ride up the thread, which will cause leakage, sometimes inside the adaptor so the oil can bypass the filter.

Service kits are available for the adaptor:

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RR1238SKIT

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, 

I bought a service kit from the club. I don't have the adapter here but from memory when I spun the clip down the thread the centre piece locked up meaning the original bolt was incorrect thread length? 

So it seems this may have been fitted incorrectly when the engine was rebuilt 10 years ago! 

I haven't tried the bolt in the club kit, hopefully this will be OK. 

Thanks very much for your help. 

Iain 

• 4 months later...
On 29/04/2020 at 10:33, Iain T said:

Morning All,

When I unbolted the adaptor from the block the assembly 'exploded' into its constituent parts and fell into the dirty oil pan! I assume the threaded banjo tab is only there to align the centre part and spring while bolting assembly onto the block. This tab retains the centre part and spring, am I right is assuming to reassemble providing the centre is proud of the main body ie positive pressure on the centre seal, the system will work or is there a set offset distance? 

Thanks as usual

Iain

IMG_20200428_124105_resized_20200429_102953265.jpg

IMG_20200428_124115_resized_20200429_102953515.jpg

15 minutes ago, Prince Brainier of Meccano said:

Are those 2 holes for an oil cooler if drilled and tapped for the flexy hoses?

I believe that's why they're in the casting but I'm not sure whether there's a drilling in the non-cooler version that would need to be "undrilled" before making it a cooler type.

10 hours ago, NonMember said:

I'm not sure whether there's a drilling in the non-cooler version that would need to be "undrilled" before making it a cooler type.

There is just such an internal drilling in the non-cooler versions. For the same reason just blanking off the oil cooler tappings on the cooler version does not convert in the other direction. If you do that you’ll get no oil   circulation at all.......

Nick

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

I don't have an oil cooler so they are blind drillings. Why are they there?

Because they're not drillings, they're cast. Having them there allows a common casting to be used for both versions, which reduces cost (quite significantly) and means you don't have to pay as much for your adapter.