aluminum rocker cover fitment

Amanda

To my knowledge the GT6 has the engine closer to the bonnet than a Vitesse, hence some problems there. So you have a Vitesse? What engine & carbs? Please add info about car and model when you ask questions on this forum, It's difficult to answer without knowing exactly what car you have. I hope you got enough info from our members to solve your paint problems in previous thread.

I'm surprised the rocker cover touches the inside of the bonnet on a Vitesse, it's a problem usually associated with GT6s, where there's much less space under the bonnet (I know, I've tried it!).

There are several ways to deal with this. Easiest is to use a thin silicone rubber gasket between the cover and the cylinder head, which reduces the height of the rocker cover by a few mm compared to the standard cork gasket. The Club Shop and other suppliers sell these. If it's still tight, sometimes the engine will drop slightly if the main mounting bolts (those between the rubber mounts and the chassis) are loosened then re-tightened.

A bit more difficult and irreversible, is to chamfer the front of the rocker cover so it slopes, like the old Triumph Tune ones.

No doubt a Vitesse will be along soon with more info.

Nigel

Hi Amanda,

Yes I had this problem when I fitted an Ali cover to my Vitesse. I think the problem is mainly is that unlike the original steel cover the Ali one does'nt have a groove in it for the gasket, which raises the height enough for it to just touch the bonnet. On mine it was just at the front edge, so I filed the fins down a little bit by putting an angle on them - 45 degrees. I took a little off at a time, and checked it for fouling by putting a bit of blu tak on it and looking for marks in it.

Gav

18 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

i would remove the over rider and raise the height of the bonnet by the slotted hinge straps that control the bonnet height.  

Pete

Trouble with doing that Pete is that it'll probably ruin your carefully aligned panel gaps ! We all know how long it takes to get a half decent result..😉

Gav

yes goes without saying  its just another idea to solve a height problem.and explains why some do and some dont fit under 

the bonnet height is designed to be adjustable the engine height  is not 

and splitting hairs the domed front nut can be changed for a std nut and shorter stud if thats in contact 

bit like tesco  every little helps 

Pete