Air gap, soft top to windscreen

I'm working my way through a snagging list on my new-to-me Mk3 Spitfire and I'd appreciate any help and wisdom from members.

There's an approx 3mm air gap along the length of the joint between the soft top and the top of the windscreen. Hopefully this will be obvious in the attached picture.  I've also attached a picture of the roof showing a channel riveted to the frame.  Should this have a seal running alongside it?

The two small sections for the clamping device seem fairly snug with no obvious gap.

Many thanks in advance.

Gap roof to windscreen.jpg

Soft top attachment to windscreen.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I now have a seal.  After 2 minutes looking at the car I've decided that it's time to post another query.😊

Any tips / help to fit it.  It looks a bit of a nightmare.  

Start from an end and slide, start from the middle, special tools, techniques, lubrication, pitfalls and so on.

I think that a screwdriver blade is likely to cause a lot of damage 😢

10 minutes ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

I now have a seal.  After 2 minutes looking at the car I've decided that it's time to post another query.😊

Any tips / help to fit it.  It looks a bit of a nightmare.  

Start from an end and slide, start from the middle, special tools, techniques, lubrication, pitfalls and so on.

I think that a screwdriver blade is likely to cause a lot of damage 😢

Apparently "KY" jelly is the best stuff to use as its water based, slippy and can't do any damage.

Tony. 

1 minute ago, poppyman said:

Apparently "KY" jelly is the best stuff to use as its water based, slippy and can't do any damage.

Tony. 

Lube is a matter of personal choice.

For shy and retiring types, tyre soap will also help fit the hood rail rubber. Use fingers and a plastic spatula (or something similar) to ease the rubber seal's profile into the channel that's riveted to the hood rail.

Nigel 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1