Front wiring issue

bengaku

20200615_140956.thumb.jpg.dcea796f9f08ff6c12c12cc35a09a5f9.jpgSeem to have an issue with front wiring specifically the ones connecting front indicators and parking lights .so having swapped out the rusty old lower front valences and reconnecting the lights back up .when I turn lights on the drivers side indicator lights up but doesnt flash also the rear light comes on as well if I use left indicator it works fine but right or drivers side doesnt make a difference as the lights are already on and stay on with headlights .I have checked black wires all seem fine iam correct that the black wire is  earth ? I believe it's a problem with earth causing problems putting on hazards the lights do flash but are not as bright as the left side any suggestions that could help me to get lndictator working again its only one side that the problem lies I have added a picture of the wires before took them off to change parts over thanks for looking regards Paul 

20200615_140956.jpg

Certainly sounds like an earth problem! There are two sorts of bulb holder, one has a power and an earth wire. The other has a power wire, but gets it's earth from the metal work of the car and this can be really troublesome!

I'm not sure what's going on with your wiring pictures, black should go to black and red to red. But you have black to red which should give you a big BANG! 

Doug

Just now, dougbgt6 said:

Certainly sounds like an earth problem! There are two sorts of bulb holder, one has a power and an earth wire. The other has a power wire, but gets it's earth from the metal work of the car and this can be really troublesome!

I'm not sure what's going on with your wiring pictures, black should go to black and red to red. But you have black to red which should give you a big BANG! 

Doug

Well I took a picture before I took parts off so I could replace wiring back in correct order although I have had issues before with lights and horn maybe need to take car to some auto electrical expert rather than fudge it up 

12 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Doug

Yes, that large one in the middle is a common bullet terminal so black is connected to red; first thing to do is remove that black, then go to the other large bullet connector and remove the red one, swap them over so that all blacks are together and all reds - single cables from the loom on one side and dual cables to the lights on the other for simplicity - then see how that goes.

The reds are common to both lights so power in from the loom will split to both front left and right and earth through the blacks.

There's also a white and green which I thought should be rear indicator, but if it's there it must be for one side or the other. One front indicator should be green and red and the other plain green, your green / red from the loom goes to green and the green and white then goes to green / red; swap those two over for starters and keep like for like. 

Thanks for the advice Colin I con only assume that as I dont often drive in the dark I have never notice issue with indicator lights on drivers side coming on it was only the other day that a neighbor said he saw me in front of him the night before and noticed the light on all the time so that's it now sorted thanks again for the advice keep safe guys regards Paul 

As the others have said, your problem is the red/black mix up, and that probably exlpains ALL your symptoms without "funny earthing issues".

The main loom has four wires - black is ground, red is sidelights, green/white is indicators one side, green/red is indicators the other side. The sub-loom for a side/flasher unit has three wires - black, red and green/red. Their functions match the main loom colour codes. So you need to connect all three reds in one four-bullet housing, all three blacks in the other, and the green/red of the lights connected to the green/red and the green/white respectively.

As you have it, the side-lights may work if they're not earthed through the body (often a very poor connection if any) but the indicators on the green/white side are "earthed" to the sidelight supply. When you turn on the lights, those indicators will light up dimly as power from the red-to-black connection passes through the front indicator to the green/white and thence to the rear indicator, which is connected to a real earth. Also, when indicating that way, the front indicator bulb is "earthed" through the side light circuit and is likely to make the side/tail lights come on.