Fuel smell

sulzerman

Hi all

Spitfire

I fitted a facet electric fuel pump in the boot of my spitfire.  I now get a waft of petrol fumes when I open the boot. All new rubber hoses are fitted and definitely no leaks. 

I wrapped the hoses in tape which seemed to reduce the smell a bit.

Are rubber hoses slightly porous? Are there any alternatives?

Maybe I should of mounted the pump on the underside 

Thank you

Where did you get the hoses from?

Yes, rubber is slightly porous to petrol but how much depends a LOT on the quality. The club sells Gates Barricade R9 hose, which is ethanol-proof and good, and shouldn't let the smell through. Mush of what's out there on eBay or cheap from motor factors... is pretty poor and will stink. Then decay. Then split and leak.

Yes, modern fuel does permeate through some of the hoses available.  No visible wetness but it still stinks. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any legislation to prevent the sale of unsuitable hose in the UK.

I've been using Cohline 2240 (from Glencoe or Merlin) for a couple of years now which doesn't smell and seems to last.  Avoid the generic "R9" rated stuff from ebay and AFS.  It should be ok if it were what it claims to be, but it isn't.

Nick

27 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Yes, modern fuel does permeate through some of the hoses available.  No visible wetness but it still stinks. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any legislation to prevent the sale of unsuitable hose in the UK.

I've been using Cohline 2240 (from Glencoe or Merlin) for a couple of years now which doesn't smell and seems to last.  Avoid the generic "R9" rated stuff from ebay and AFS.  It should be ok if it were what it claims to be, but it isn't.

Nick

I purchased R9 from AFS via eBay . The tubing lasted 6 months before it started to dissolve from the inside then ended up in the strombergs blocking the valves . Moving to Gates Barricade solved the issue 

Paul