Girling 16

ahebron

As I am fortunate to be back at work and every week earning a  bit of overtime I decided to look into a set of Girling 16 calipers for my Vitesse 6.
Triumph sized ones are not that common in NZ so I decided to look overseas.
Rockauto in the USA had the best deal which keeps it under NZs customs duty figures but only for the metric set from a late GT6 which landed including tax will cost me NZ$287.
An early imperial set will push it over the NZ$400 which is when customs add their fee. 

I will slowly buy the other bits I need to complete the job and then cap it off with a set of Mintex 1144 pads which I can source locally for a Ford form a similar price as from overseas.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=22449&cc=1293825&jsn=330&_nck=Ekt6BqBF1pwlXdx0gYlm1esw98pF26vehMm%2FGG3C%2Fl2QOXSJubi7WSpUmUSdg3OxWOs2f5z9h40yflR1RdAtsQCrjYt2wcIO5B5KUZIVKF0yQOl7CKdqenXNuSd50QguLrTZsZLs7eIvY4y3nijhs8Ivw4e2fEvahYD2RU76AfzBkm8C%2BtT41i2oYglZUpLGGSAYo5B93PAU3%2BFcw7Tx3AqW9HEVwG40fKfy4boN9D%2BPusNJEXzezM8s7lDmI%2FL97P65lfGhCZfb0HiVfBtzAmpASvX5b0cFFBZA4HBPJ7z9uQlGibmVqVVe0tVw5ovl9eJ5jo1PYKhvbRDEmqp1mrX7JKYa3Mina3gC3PXgTDF3PY%2Fw7cynyvMjBboqYMA8lQEa77CV7YU%3D

Adrian

7 hours ago, ahebron said:

As I am fortunate to be back at work and every week earning a  bit of overtime I decided to look into a set of Girling 16 calipers for my Vitesse 6.
Triumph sized ones are not that common in NZ so I decided to look overseas.
Rockauto in the USA had the best deal which keeps it under NZs customs duty figures but only for the metric set from a late GT6 which landed including tax will cost me NZ$287.
An early imperial set will push it over the NZ$400 which is when customs add their fee. 

I will slowly buy the other bits I need to complete the job and then cap it off with a set of Mintex 1144 pads which I can source locally for a Ford form a similar price as from overseas.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=22449&cc=1293825&jsn=330&_nck=Ekt6BqBF1pwlXdx0gYlm1esw98pF26vehMm%2FGG3C%2Fl2QOXSJubi7WSpUmUSdg3OxWOs2f5z9h40yflR1RdAtsQCrjYt2wcIO5B5KUZIVKF0yQOl7CKdqenXNuSd50QguLrTZsZLs7eIvY4y3nijhs8Ivw4e2fEvahYD2RU76AfzBkm8C%2BtT41i2oYglZUpLGGSAYo5B93PAU3%2BFcw7Tx3AqW9HEVwG40fKfy4boN9D%2BPusNJEXzezM8s7lDmI%2FL97P65lfGhCZfb0HiVfBtzAmpASvX5b0cFFBZA4HBPJ7z9uQlGibmVqVVe0tVw5ovl9eJ5jo1PYKhvbRDEmqp1mrX7JKYa3Mina3gC3PXgTDF3PY%2Fw7cynyvMjBboqYMA8lQEa77CV7YU%3D

Adrian

Adrian, a few things just in case I have missed something.

Are these Triumph calipers, the link doesn't seem to say. Because the ford version has different lug spacing.

So you will need to get the brake caliper mounts from a  2 litre vitesse/GT6 to fit the Triumph type. Good news is that your existing caliper mounts have real value.

In fact, an alternative method of better brakes could be to use the ford version of the caliper as it bolts to your existing mounts,, with a GT6/Vitesse disc. But I think the disc diameter eneeds reducing a smidge. OR use the old princess 4 pot calipers with a GT6 disc, or indeed aftermarket alloy version of tat caliper. all will bolt to what you already have, and they work with unmodified GT6 disc. 

Ignore me if you have already considered these "ideas"!

Hi Clive

These are GT6 calipers, or at least thats what they claim!
As I have a Mk2 Convertible in poor state in storage I can take the caliper mounts off and either use them or get a set of mounts made the same as I have a few local friendly engineers I can use.
I did think of alternatives but thought best to stay Triumph as much as possible so in future confusion wont be to bad.

I am surprised at the price difference between the imperial bolt version and the metric bolt. Over NZ$100 which seems crazy.

Adrian

1 minute ago, ahebron said:

I am surprised at the price difference between the imperial bolt version and the metric bolt. Over NZ$100 which seems crazy.

Adrian

Could be due to poor availability of core stock of imperial calipers to recondition perhaps?

Nigel

Following our experiences with the new Girling 16P copies as available in the UK (documented on here and Sideways) I’d be very wary of making a large overseas investment on them as they just don’t work properly. Whether the Rock Auto ones are the same as the UK ones I have no idea.....

Refurbing a pair of genuine ones will give a more certain outcome I feel.

Nick