Spitfire Mk3 Boot

Hi Guys,

Can anybody send me a photo of the boot lock catch plate set-up on the boot rear valence as I need to fit one and I do not have any holes to attach it. In fact I do not have a catch plate either! Looking at the old rear valence which the welder returned It has a reinforcing plate which my new valence does not. 

Also I have two thick pieces of bent steel about a foot long, quarter of an inch thick and about one and a half inches wide. which obviously bolt through two holes in the boot floor near the rear lights. Where does the other end go? Again a photo would be appreciated.

Wish I had photographed the boot prior to the work being done.

Thanks guys hope you can help.

Cheers,

George

I don't know if these photos are useful - they were taken to show how my boot lock catch broke!

TSSC1.jpg.27034bf8fd8d80b0b731bc8ed645f7b3.jpg

A possibly better angle but not in focus:

TSSC2.jpg.a212fd067c25bc90e3fe0805838b33d7.jpg

The vertical brace panel is needed! Without it the boot is held down only by the rear lip, which is flexible.

As to the thick bent steel, I couldn't find any photos of them but they sound like the bumper attachment irons. There should be, on each side, one bolted to the floor which bends up to rest against the rear valance, and one with a side-arm that bolts to the inner wing and then bends round to meet the first one at the valance. The bumper then bolts through the valance and bolt irons.

Hi Guys,

Those photos are great, thanks for putting them up. Looks like the two bolts are slightly offset to the off-side. I have the old valance so I can measure from that. Thanks for the info on the irons. I will need to give mine a bit more bend as they do nor meet up correctly when bolted to the boot floor.

Cheers,

George

One thing to note on the bumper irons, which isn't obvious at first, is that even the bottom ones are handed. The bend is slightly off-square, so that the most upright bit matches the curve of the valance. They won't fit if you put them on the wrong side.

• 2 weeks later...