Triple QX 5W40 Oil.

SpitFire6

Hi,

I found some synthetic oil sold on the internet that is very inexpensive at around £20 delivered.
I couldn't find any data apart from its ACEA A3/B4, so the highest 150c group.
The analysis shows it is near the top end for viscosity @ 100c for a 40 oil. Zn to me implies its 1100PPM ZDDP which is plenty for flat tappets. It also has Boron & Moly to reduce wear further.

If you have high/good oil pressure this appears to be a good choice.

Cheers,

Iain

Triple QX 5W40.pdf

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

Hi,

I found some synthetic oil sold on the internet that is very inexpensive at around £20 delivered.
I couldn't find any data apart from its ACEA A3/B4, so the highest 150c group.
The analysis shows it is near the top end for viscosity @ 100c for a 40 oil. Zn to me implies its 1100PPM ZDDP which is plenty for flat tappets. It also has Boron & Moly to reduce wear further.

If you have high/good oil pressure this appears to be a good choice.

Cheers,

Iain

Triple QX 5W40.pdf

Newbie ? What is regarded as good oil pressure ?

Paul 

21 hours ago, clive said:

40-60 psi when running and warmed up (ie not at idle!)

I have used that oil. seemed to last OK, but not as good as shell helix after 12 months/6K hard use.

Hi Clive,

the QX is new to me & I did initially buy it for the 206 which normally "uses" 0W40 FS @ £50.
What issues did you have after 6K hard use?

Cheers,

Iain.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

Hi Clive,

the QX is new to me & I did initially buy it for the 206 which normally "uses" 0W40 FS @ £50.
What issues did you have after 6K hard use?

Cheers,

Iain.

No issues. It just seems to change colour more, which is a ghetto method of telling how much an oil has degraded.

Mind you, it was still less than halfords classic oil changes in 1K miles and not driven as hard!

In reality, the QX oil is very good value at £20 a pop. And it seems to be eurocarparts "own brand" oil, not a bad thing at all. Cheaper usually though "carparts4less" but terrible 1970's names for companies.

Think I trust my eyes more than I would that little device. It just measures resistance, and says it can give false readings for oils with high levels of additives or metals such as Zinc and Moly. 

Just watch the oil colour change over time,and also if it starts to go watery. 

An oil pressure gauge is the easy way to indicate when the oil is deteriorating as when this start to happen the warm pressure will start to reduce. This reduction will slowly increase with more mileage. With most good multi-grades it start to happen around 3,000 miles when the car is in every day use. Where the car is not in every day use and stands idle for most of the time then the millage will be a lot less. But remember the ambient temperature should also be taken into account when monitoring the oil pressure over a period of time.

If you have already used mineral oil in the engine then changing to synthetic oil may effect the oil seals causing them to fail. 

Dave