Broken Brakes

Dave1360

3 hours ago, Dave1360 said:

When you say later hubs, are these the ones fitted to the 2L models with Type 16 brakes? 

Early hubs were for type 12s, and used a carrier bracket which bolted to the upright; later cars were all one piece. Both will take type 12s but only the later hubs with the chamfered edge will take 14s without fouling. Early hubs to left below, later to right.

1822252614_pic7.jpg.b6343d0060c86b2e9be32404bd731a5d.jpg 1840171940_pic8.jpg.5c71f4812763ceb17c4eb15c53678449.jpg

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

the hubs on a 1600 are probably already skimmed , you can fit type 16s but need a hard to find caliper carrier as the bolt hole centres are different so  have to source second hand 2ltr

As well as the caliper bracket using different spacing for the caliper, does it use the same spacing for the mounting bolts to the vertical link?

12 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes the 2ltr caliper mounts are a straight swap on the  1600  upright (   well mine was )

Pete

And the herald caliper mounts have real value. They are used to fit princess 4 pot calipers to vitesse?GT6 and Lotus etc. I say princess 4 pot, they are as heavy as a small planet, so most will use "better" aluminium ones etc.

Another possible combination, the Lockheed big Saloon Calipers (AMI fitted models I think of which I have a rebuilt pair) fit the Herald caliper brackets on the Herald type uprights & I checked just before on my spare rebuilt Herald (Spit) front suspension units but they will require a little judicious grinding of the caliper body to clear the tapered edge of the Spit/Herald hub,  (haven't tried a Vitesse hub) a quick measurement also indicates the Vitesse 9.7in rotars should fit!

Just a quick update.  The cause of the problem was the brake hose and it was nine years old.  Interestingly, the link that Pete Lewis put in the other thread about braided hoses suggested the average hose life was 8-10 years.  Just need to bleed it all through now and get driving it again.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Dave