2500s timing

Mathew

Hi, hopefully a quick one. Running a 2500s estate on points and condenser with su carbs. What timing with experience runs best. Just adjusted mine to 10 deg before as it was nearer 16. Different years and models seem to be all over the place and experience would be good.

Cheers

by ear,  slacken clamp and with a fast idle  rotate dizzy to get  best running/fastest idle  , back off from this by retarding a little   reduce idle to normal,    test run 

any pinking  , yes retard  till its quiet , use   97+ ron fuel not 2** 95 to get best performance 

pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

you have high temperature readings ???  you did not mention that 

10 is about normal (not looked up 2500s) 

first check the gauge voltatage stabiliser and make sure it has a GTR108 sender unit   

coolant thermostat should be 82c 

Pete

I had changed the thermostat, it was 82 and new is 82. Def opening as rad hot.

Just now, Mathew said:

I had changed the thermostat, it was 82 and new is 82. Def opening as rad hot.

Treat yourself to one of these Mathew, you will know if it's running hot or just normal. I might be paranoid, but i bought three..... One for each Triumph :)  None of them overheating, tried different stats and transmitters ect.     https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INFRARED-THERMOMETER-LCD-TEMPERATURE-GUN-IR-TEMP-METER-NON-CONTACT-DIGITAL-GOOD/313147106805?hash=item48e905a5f5:g:YAkAAOSwIZ5fDXbo

Tony.

1 minute ago, poppyman said:

Treat yourself to one of these Mathew, you will know if it's running hot or just normal. I might be paranoid, but i bought three..... One for each Triumph :)  None of them overheating, tried different stats and transmitters ect.     https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INFRARED-THERMOMETER-LCD-TEMPERATURE-GUN-IR-TEMP-METER-NON-CONTACT-DIGITAL-GOOD/313147106805?hash=item48e905a5f5:g:YAkAAOSwIZ5fDXbo

Tony.

Good idea, had alot of problems with my puma spitfire and would definitely be handy. 

• Like 1