Oil Filter Query

SixasStandard

Hello All,

I've just fitted an oil pressure gauge (mechanical type) to my '68 Vitesse Mk1 2 litre, and during the process discovered a few issues with the spin off filter conversion that had been added by a previous owner. They had fitted the unit such that the oil filter pointed upwards at about 45 degrees, presumably to facilitate easier filter changes. Anyway, that was soon sorted.......with the unit now oriented downwards towards the chassis rail, giving the sort of horrendously difficult access that is more fitting for a British cars of this period. With that job accomplished I took a little more notice of the oil filter that had been fitted (of which I have another couple of spares that came with the car), and just wanted to check with other Triumph owners to see if they are familiar with the brand and have any feedback on their suitability. The filter is made by TJ, model# QFL0099............and is usefully short in length at only 75mm. I've looked on the interwebby, and these filters are listed as suitable for a pretty wide range of vehicles, including Ford, Jeep, Volvo, Alfa Romeo etc etc........with engine sizes ranging from 1 litre to over 3 litre V6 24V units. The filter is listed as having both a pressure limiter and a non-return valve. 

So my questions are.........does anyone else out there have a similar filter fitted to their car? is the concensus that this filter is suitable for a Vitesse 2 litre engine? and what oil pressures should I be seeing on my car at tick over and 3000rpm hot and cold?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Ian

I've not heard any bad stories regarding TJ Filters (FRAM are a different story?), although 75mm is quite short and will reduce oil capacity slightly and presumably less filter material within?

On my old Vitesse at Tick over (800 RPM) showed Oil Pressure when fully Hot of 25 PSI, at 3000 RPM it was 75 PSI but that was with a fully rebuilt engine with new Crank and bearings.

Triumph recommended 40-60 PSI at 2000 RPM when hot so it you are getting this then the engine should be in reasonable health.

Low oil pressure at tick over (Less than 20 PSI) would indicate a worn engine to me.

Regards

Gary

if you look at the range of engines your homework indicates its certainly well suited to a old 2 ltr and probably find most of them have the same sump capacity

and as triumph service says one filter every 2 oil changes  gives an idea of the filtering capacity ( yes i know old smokey will contaminate more )

but for the miles we tend to cover in classics theres a lot of myth and scare about filters seeing as most good bad or indifferent filters are changed far too frequently 

to ever be a problem 

Pete

15 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

I've not heard any bad stories regarding TJ Filters (FRAM are a different story?), although 75mm is quite short and will reduce oil capacity slightly and presumably less filter material within?

On my old Vitesse at Tick over (800 RPM) showed Oil Pressure when fully Hot of 25 PSI, at 3000 RPM it was 75 PSI but that was with a fully rebuilt engine with new Crank and bearings.

Triumph recommended 40-60 PSI at 2000 RPM when hot so it you are getting this then the engine should be in reasonable health.

Low oil pressure at tick over (Less than 20 PSI) would indicate a worn engine to me.

Regards

Gary

Thanks Gary. 

Ian,

If you need a slightly taller (extra capacity) filter then try a WIX WL7074 which is a decent filter and has 1x ADBV.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wix-WL7074-Car-Oil-Filter-Spin-On-Replaces-W7121-PH2964-AW37/361508884740?hash=item542b9bd104:g:QDAAAOSwoBtW4rZZ

Oddly enough and in support of FRAM, I have used orange FRAM PH2964 filters for the last 10x years on my Vitesse and never had an issue - engine is excellent with according oil pressure. These filters also have 1x ADBV. 

On a x-ref point the PH2964 and WL7074 are the same.

Regards.

Richard.

Thanks to Gary, Pete, Nigel and Richard for your responses. I've now adjusted my engine's tickover down to 750rpm (was 1K), and after running up to temperature the oil pressure was showing an indicated 25lbs at tickover, and 50lbs at 2000 rpm. Based on my car's current mileage of 114k I think the oil pressure shows that there's life in the old girl yet!!

Ian

• Like 1

If memory serves the spin on conversions my by big saloons (same engine) both took Ford Mondeo oil filters, which come in short and long sizes.  I've always gone for the long one as that extra bit of oil capacity isn't going to hurt anything.