Fitting overdrive to GT6 MkIII

Roger K

Please would someone advise me on what parts I will need to fit a replacement gearbox with D-type overdrive to my non-roto GT6?

I have:

Gearbox with overdrive

Propshaft

Correct gearlever, switch and switch harness

Do I need a gearbox mount and mounting plate?  Relay? Anything else?  I'll do the clutch whilst I'm in there as it's juddering a fair bit on take up.  Any recommendations for make - Borg & Beck, etc.?

Thanks,

Roger

yes you need the chassis support plate and the rear mount 

inhibitor switch for the remote  cam   and relay for Dtype

if you se the hollow gear lever use silicon wire as its heat resistive and saves snags later on with cooked wiring 

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-gt6-mkiii&diagram=triumph-gt6-mkiii-overdrive-kit

Pete

Yes, you will need a relay, mounting plate and rubber OD mounting. Some wiring too.

You may need to cut the prop tunnel back a little too, although your car may already be od-ready from the factory. If so there will be a black metal "extenson" to teh tunnel, fitted with a few screws.

Clutches are a tetchy subject. B+B are not what they were, they are made by firstline now, who stick the B+B name on their boxes. I fitted a herald one for a local chappie a few years ago, seemed OK, but I have no idea if they are the "best available". I am still using a lightly used od B+B cover with a new/old stock B+B plate. The RHP clutch bearings are available from Chris Witor (he may have clutch kits? he tends to only sell the best stuff available)

and a reminder  6cly  only   some kits only have  a 15mm deep throw out bearing  they should be 19mm thick,  being thin upsets the wiithdrawl lever angle and upsets pedal loads and withdrawl lever pin wear as the pins  are now not on the centre line of the throwout 

there is a bodge to aid this by remove the spherical post and stick a washer as a packer under it ,  its only a light push fit in the ally hsg.

this helps reailgn the lever 

pete

On 17/11/2020 at 10:02, Pete Lewis said:

and a reminder  6cly  only   some kits only have  a 15mm deep throw out bearing  they should be 19mm thick,  being thin upsets the wiithdrawl lever angle and upsets pedal loads and withdrawl lever pin wear as the pins  are now not on the centre line of the throwout 

there is a bodge to aid this by remove the spherical post and stick a washer as a packer under it ,  its only a light push fit in the ally hsg.

this helps reailgn the lever 

pete

Just for info:  the compete Borg and Beck kit as sold by Rimmers comes with a 19mm deep release bearing.

Thanks for the tip, Pete, I don't like bodges!

Roger

and a 7/16" washer to fit between angle and OD  or you can end load the drive and early failure 

even rimmers say no washer   no warranty  !!!!

we fitted an OD to a Herald with no angle drive   and cut a 1" hole in the tunnel and ran the orig cable under the seat/ floor carpet  , its still working 

its a nice !!   bodge  

Pete