Tips on fitting new radius arm bushes

As above, really - the large metalastik bushes, not the small end which have gone in fine.  I have new rubber bushes from Rimmers, which are not genuine Metalastik but I suspect those are no longer available.  After burning out the rubber, I hacksawed out the remaining steel sleeve OK and filed and emerey'd the bore smooth.  Absolutely no luck in pressing the new bush in, though.  I've used a little copperease as a lubricant, and filed a small taper on one end, and noted the taper in one side of the bore.  Using press washers and tubes and the vice, and heating the radius arm bore with a MAPP torch, it still won't start without cocking over.  I'll take some measurements later and see how much they're out, but surely they shouldn't be this hard to get in?  Are there are any known problems with these from some suppliers?  If I really can't get there, I suppose I could try turning them down a little, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Oh, and no, I don't want to fit polybushes.

Roger

I took a digital mic to the radius arms - large internal bore is nominal 45.55mm, not completely round but +-0.05mm by my measurement.

The new bushing OD is nominal 45.90mm +-0.05mm - so 0.5mm oversize, I reckon.  That's not an acceptable interference fit in my book.  I turned them down to 45.60mm, so they have gone in as a tight press fit - possibly a little overtight, but rather that than loose.

What do you do if you don't have a lathe?

I've had the inner grease seal on the swing axle trunnion come out as you pump in grease, Vitesse steering column bushes so tight on the shaft to be usless. Just crappy repro parts, I sometimes suspect that the old imperial measurements are converted to metric and rounded up or down.

Regards

Paul

2 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

I've had the inner grease seal on the swing axle trunnion come out as you pump in grease...

I remember that happening on my old Mk1 Vitesse, back in ‘75!  To be fair, the car did only cost me thirty quid, and was my daily driver for 3 years. RLP3E, where are you now?