13/60 Herald Bonnet to Vitesse Bonnet.....a conversion.

Phil C

Hi All, Hope you all had an enjoyable socially distanced Christmas!

A while back I was discussing using a Herald body as a donor for my Vitesse restoration.

Included in this was the ease in which a Herald bonnet could be converted to a Vitesse bonnet.

It proved a difficult thing to describe so having had a go I thought the following would help anyone else attempting the same.

Three main elements to consider.

1. Headlights are smaller requiring alterations to the front end of the wings.

2. Support stiffeners between front panel and wheel arch are significantly bigger on the Vitesse.

3. Side lights are offset further on the Vitesse requiring further alteration to the wings.

IMG_6383.thumb.jpeg.396666661bcbfd5c8eaed8f64e2994d8.jpeg

The difference in headlight diameter is clear from this photo as is the need to offset the sidelight.

If possible you could cut sections from your Vitesse bonnet to guide the alterations. Unfortunately mine was too far gone.

The other consideration here is the seating of the sidelight. It requires a flat base, and you can see the herald wing is curving up to the point it joins the front panel.

IMG_6538.thumb.jpeg.152821f0daa3d355a7737f36603cef1f.jpeg

The two support panels side by side. Vitesse on the right. Luckily I could salvage these from my Vitesse bonnet.

IMG_6412.thumb.jpeg.eac54ce4279ef6f77eafb44b374f7201.jpeg

This is where I am at present, not pretty but solid. I haven't managed to get a flat base for the side light so needs more work.

Phil

• Like 1

When I did my Vitesse bonnet found that even new wings needed altering to get a good fit around headlight, they're altered 13/60 wings. Looking at the price difference think I would buy 13/60 wings and alter them myself. As the radiator in a Vitesse is against the front cross tube had to make sure that the bottom of the headlight panel was not pulled in to far when trying to line it up with the wings.

Looks good and getting there, assembled my bonnet with self tappers around wheel arch etc. to check fit and alignment then plug welds as I removed them.

Best of luck with the build.

Regards

Paul

Edited by 68vitesse
Correct spelling.
  • Thanks 1

• Phil C changed the title to 13/60 Herald Bonnet to Vitesse Bonnet.....a conversion.