Vitesse Boot Hinge

Phil C

Just trial fitting my boot this morning and both hinges have seen better days.

Replacement hinges appear very reasonable when compared to the likely cost of repair/rechroming the originals.

This makes me slightly suspicious re quality 🤔

Any experience/advice out there?

Thanks

A few years ago they had a batch where the threads / studs on the undersides were very poorly fitted, just about holding onto the hinge, and they were very easy to wring when being tightened. I ended up having to adapt a bolt in place of the stud, cut the head off and shorten, then glue into place. They may have improved since. Price is really no guide as some suppliers can sell cheaply whilst other suppliers sell exactly the same hinge for quite a bit more; sad thing is I don't think there's any particular brand name which I can point you to. Deal with a reputable supplier who will replace if necessary.

• Thanks 1

I bought new hinges for my Spitfire. Like Colin, I found that the threads for the studs are not great, but I took the approach of re-tapping them (using a bottoming tap) then re-fitting the studs with a bit of thread lock. That seems to have worked.

Do be careful how you fit them. The boot hinges are handed, and if swapped will put a LOT of stress on things. When my Spitfire came back from being painted, the chap had fitted them on the wrong sides and I couldn't open the boot. Our local AO also had the hinges swapped on his Herald and the stresses snapped one of them. (As it happens, the ones on my Vitesse are also swapped but the pins are so worn that it probably helps)

• Thanks 1

What's the easiest method of telling which side is which? I've just realised I have a few sets on the shelf and might go out later to sort them out into pairs, plus this query has given me the notion of checking the threads.

Probably obvious once you start, I'll assume the open / visible end of the hinge pin goes to the inside, but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks Guys, 

The point about being handed is interesting and probably makes sense with the body curvature. Just had a look at mine but they are so loose its impossible to tell left from right. Mr Haynes appears to ignore the point!

Just ordered a pair from Canley's so fingers crossed for a decent reproduction and I will fettle the threads as necessary.

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

What's the easiest method of telling which side is which?

As Phil noted, the reason they're handed is the curvature of the rear deck. The hinge pins are not parallel to the fitting surface. You need to put the side where it's closer on the inside, so that the two pins end up aligned. Off the top of my head I don't recall whether that's the "open" end of the pin but it seems likely.

49 minutes ago, NonMember said:

As Phil noted, the reason they're handed is the curvature of the rear deck. The hinge pins are not parallel to the fitting surface. You need to put the side where it's closer on the inside, so that the two pins end up aligned. Off the top of my head I don't recall whether that's the "open" end of the pin but it seems likely.

Thanks Rob; it's been so long since I replaced these I've forgotten what to look for. I might just go out later, study them closely, and mark the side with a bit of masking tape.

Just received the new hinges from Canley Classics and they appear to be well made. The studs/thread look good.

Although they are not marked left and right it is quite clear which is which as the photo below illustrates.

Good value at £27.56 I think 😀

2C7575C2-4E53-46E9-99C1-EA06031898E0.thumb.jpeg.4dba1d083fe664cfca499cc953324519.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1