White Paint

AlanT

Hi,

My 1500 1980 Spit is about to go for paint. I’m unsure about the white paint. The 1980 Leyland White looks ‘too bright’ versus a 1977 in white I once saw that looked great. Does anyone know if there is a different 1977 white code? 
Thanks 

Alan

What's the three-letter paint code on the commission plate? Should be NAB / NAC / NAF / NCG / NCM (I think that's most of them) if it was originally white. As well as Leyland White there was Pearl white, Spa White, Triumph White, and a few more that came and went over the years but were not used in a car as late as yours.

If you don't have an original colour to match, just do a simple online search for 'Triumph Spitfire Paint Codes'; there are quite a few sites with pictures as examples, and you can work out your preferred colour. Once you reckon you know the name double check by searching for, for example: "Triumph Spitfire Leyland White" which will show a range of cars all in that one colour.

The link below isn't 100% accurate in shades, but it's fun...

https://triumphspitfire1500.co.uk/triumph-spitfire-colours/triumph-spitfire-colours-interactive-1/

The late cars were often "Leyland White" or some such, which is quite a bright / cold white. Earlier cars (certainly pre-1970 cars) would have been "Triumph White" (a.k.a. "New White" on some TRs) which is much warmer / creamier, although not quite as creamy as "Old English White" (which wasn't a Triumph colour but is commonly available).

If you're having the whole car resprayed then you don't need to stick to its original colour, or indeed a model-year-correct colour, or even a Triumph colour, unless you intend to go up against a particularly obsessed concours judge. Pick one you like.

TRiumph white (19) is quite nice. 

Spa White (no code) is a tad brighter and used on the TR4 (dash board amongst other places).

I wanted an Old English White. I haven't a clue as to the code/maker etc as the silly painter binned the code before he recorded it.

It is definitely  White on the car and not bright. But on a swatch card it is definitely Mushroom, very light fawn.  However I think it looks  excellent.

The nearest Halfords colour swatch I can find is Maserati Bird cage white. Sadly the local Maserati dealership wasn't interested in helping me. 

Roger