blowing a fuse

coxy123

Hi, I've just replaced my gearbox. All's working well except I keep blowing a 35A fuse. Heater, wipers seatbelt light are on this fuse. I was behind centre dash to tighten bolts. Any help would be appreciated

On mine the reversing light switch is on this circuit. To be honest I'm not quite sure where it's located but it must be on the gearbox? Here's a picture of it:

http://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-fuse-fuse-cover-courtesy-switch-seat-sensor-control-box-reverse-light-switch-buzzer/

It's part number 13H6084 (or is it PRC1039?) It has a threaded bit that I'm guessing screws into the gearbox and as you've just had the gearbox off?

I've disconnecting the reverse light wires inside the engine bay. It is still blowing the fuse. I am assuming now that I disturbed something when I was doing the centre console brkt bolts behind the dash. There is a double earth wire(black), which isn't connected, that goes into the wiring loom. I can't see anywhere for it to connect to though!

I don't think you'd blow a fuse because you HAVEN'T connected an earth. More likely you've earthed something you shouldn't. I'm still not quite clear what's happening, when does the fuse blow? Is it immediate? Or random? What are you doing that triggers it?

I think I've sorted it. There Was a red/blue wire connected to a red wire. I disconnected them in a process of elimination and the fuse hasn't blown and everything seems to work. Just got to try and work out where these wires should go now.

yes common   design  was   blue red for dip beam  and red was side sidelights  and panel  lights .

as both are 'feeds' there must be some crossed with an earth to blow a 35 amp fuse,   best place for that would be the panel light area 

as these earth on an eyelet under the knurled clamp screws.

Pete

• 1 month later...

I think I have finally tracked down the problem. The terminals on the wiper motor were loose. I am assuming they kept touching causing a short and blowing the fuse.

I have replaced all the terminal connections on the wiper motor and (touch wood) , it hasn't blown since.

The moral of this story, don't assume it's something you have done and carry a bag of 35 amp fuses. Thanks for all your input, I've learnt loads going through the different theories. Steve