Re-profiling choke cam???

Jeffds1360

Youve got the adjusting screw that is pushed by the cam which you can set to be gnats clear of the cam with choke off but I take it even then by the time you get more revs theres too much choke? I seem to remember old Alfas actually had an adjustable tickover lever so, independantly of choke, you could raise the revs which was useful at high engine temperatures😁

In your case I think the cam is flat at the beginning so really you need to add metal to operate the throttle earlier or face drastically changing its profile....

What is the normal tickover speed as maybe this could be raised a bit? Also is your mixture on the rich side as then youll need less choke to start which wont give enough revs? 

Thanks once again for the input Johny, I'm so bored I've fitted a cushion on the o/s front wheel and am camping on it most days :)

playing with tickover, timing, mixture and choke to get best out of her. I think the cam has flattened just past off. I'm going to take a bit off the top and shape it to be more aggressive with the throttle before the choke comes in, therefore having to screw the screw further out. 

I'm getting there. Bloody thing ends up a mil or 2 out after every test drive...don't you love these beasts!!

On 25/02/2021 at 18:15, johny said:

In your case I think the cam is flat at the beginning so really you need to add metal to operate the throttle earlier or face drastically changing its profile....

I reprofiled mine for Strombergs. Took it off the upper area. I think, as you can then adjust the screw to get the lower/first area of contact, then it's doing a similar thing?.

It improved mine. 

I have a new choke mechanism from Burlen which includes the cam on my 150CDS. I assume the profile is correct, I have the screw about 1.5mm away from the cam. An more and it over fuels and revs don't rise if I pull the lever out fully. 

It's a fine balance as the cam operates the choke enrichment discs and opens the butterfly's. 

18 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

:) don't pull it out fully!

I prefer a few revs at 1/4, a bit choke at 1/3 and cold start at 1/2. Only freezing cold would I even contemplate full choke, with a very cold engine too. My screw is touching/.005 thou.

I think every engine has its vagaries! Mine likes full choke to initially fire in all weathers (which it does pretty much immediately), but as soon as it fires I reduce the choke to a third, then reduce accordingly as the engine warms and will tick over without the slightly elevated RPM. 

The workshop manual specifies one sixteenth of an inch separation between the fast idle screw and cam.

Gully

49 minutes ago, Gully said:

think every engine has its vagaries!

Very true, get the screw adjustment wrong for your engine and you can be tugging on the starter for ages. I still think mine has just too much clearance.