Suspension/body ride heights

I'm that bored I measured my ride height to the wheel arch as I thought she looked a tiny bit lopsided.

The back is level at 21.5" both sides but the front o/s is 23.75 and n/s is 23. May be the PO had a large wife??? :)

Is this enough difference to warrant further investigation (Herald 13/50 cv for those who did not notice my site name)

Cheers lads, keep up the good work.  

this may be a bent anti roll bar  just disconnect one side see if it levels up

there are two dia bars the thin ones seem to get a permanent set the only later available ones dont 

if it solves the lean you can live with it or get the later bigger bar which is all thats availabe  afaik

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?diagram=triumph-herald-13/60-anti-roll-bar&ptno=217033

yes blame the Mrs   ha !!

Pete

Always worth measuring the front spring lengths/counting coils/damper spring pan->spring top distance too.  Always possible to have mixed parts on a car after 40+years of previous owners 'careful maintenance'.

Ok boys, I'll have a closer look after I've sorted the 'modern'

I got a misfire and the obd thingy said missfire cyl3 so 30 quid on a coil pack....... still missfire! :(

I'm guessing the fuel injector on 3 is bad, same as cyl4 a couple of year back. 90 odd quid from S. Korea and 4 weeks delivery back then for one injector!

Pleased I got a whole top end including 4 injectors for 60 quid off Ebay :)Mucky job so gloves on again. Fingers a lot better. 

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

this may be a bent anti roll bar  just disconnect one side see if it levels up

there are two dia bars the thin ones seem to get a permanent set the only later available ones dont 

Interesting... I have four used Herald bars, was intending one for the current Herald but they're all raised off the ground at one end and all by the same amount. It's so uniform it looks as though they've all been made that way. Obviously the really solid (7/8?) GT6 roll bar is perfectly level but much too heavy for a Herald. I wonder why they all bend by the same amount?

there was some talk of them being biased from new a while back on here 

cant see why that would be the case 

on the rad the chassis doesnt know where the camber of the road will be and its not a practical way to 

counter act drivers spring sag  you would engineer a packer for the spring pad ,

all very odd

I had a 7/8" ARB on my Vit 6 and a courier spring ...was like on rails 

think any oversteer condition is more down to poor geometry that a stiffer  ARB

Pete

51 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Interesting... I have four used Herald bars, was intending one for the current Herald but they're all raised off the ground at one end and all by the same amount. It's so uniform it looks as though they've all been made that way. Obviously the really solid (7/8?) GT6 roll bar is perfectly level but much too heavy for a Herald. I wonder why they all bend by the same amount?

I am 100% there was somebody selling brank new ARBs at tafford back i the good old days (early 90's) and they were all as you described. I have no real explanation for the reason.

Re handling, thicker front ARB increases understeer, on my herald estate, I used the super strong courier spring and took the ARB off (as per the courier) and it handled brilliantly. Oh, it did have 400lb front springs which may have helped.... but brilliantly balanced. Beat a tr7V8 in autosolos which rely more on handling than pure power.

1 hour ago, clive said:

I am 100% there was somebody selling brank new ARBs at tafford back i the good old days (early 90's) and they were all as you described. I have no real explanation for the reason.

These are all from dismantled Heralds, one from an early 948, another from an early 1200; the other two are probably later 1200s ie 1967 and later. They're all bent!  I'm wondering if they require even a slight degree of torsion when fitted hence one end two inches higher than the other; but new completely flat versions are available so that theory is out.

the ARB is there to press the opposite wheel down as roll takes on the suspension dive   cant see any reason you would form a torsional set in its stance 

i dont see anything that would bias the roll on a H or V   and the small bar was used on all the ranges  the 7/8 came later 

suppliers only show  the 7/8 bar as the superceeded part  eg    https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-217033K