Anyone ever used overnight crossing from Portsmouth to Le Harve

Mike

Thinking having returned this week from Brittany on the Eurotunnel that I may return with the wife and kids in the Vitesse for a long weekend. As we live in Malvern Portsmouth - Le Harvre/ Dieppe would save the Triumph a few hundred miles each way and we could wake up en Francais full of beans and ready to go. Anyone done this route?

Hi Mike,

I've not done the journey in my Vitesse, but have from Worcester for holidays in the modern (Alfa 156) to France. Pretty swift to Portsmouth on A417/419/A34 etc. 2 hours tops and Pompey is a bit more interesting than Dover if you set off a bit earlier. Good crossing to Le Harvre, worth getting a cabin though if overnight, then a nice drive via RN to Brittany. I think there is a speed crossing that cuts the time from about 6 to 4 hours if I recall. Cuts out a 4 hour slog down to Dover and overnight stop en Francais.

Cheers,

Andy       

Cheers guys, just done Erquy to Calais then tunnel and home to Malvern. 6 hours plus in France then another 3 this side. In the Modern B Class Sport it was no drama and love the tunnel but the Vitesse would love me more/ as I'm sure would the kids with the shorter route. I would definitely do the cabin as I think as I get older I can do without the drama of "cattle class" on the decks fighting for somewhere to sit. I like the idea of poking round Portsmouth also as when I was a kid my moms uncle had a boat at Victory docks and we used to sail around Brittania. The overall drive would be much more pleasant too.

We always used to take the kids (in a modern) via Portsmouth, to either St.Malo or Caen.

St.Malo is a wonderful, almost fairy town on its headland, with medieval streets, full today of tatt, but the ramparts offer great views.

Caen, of course is on the D-Day landing coast, with Pegasus Bridge just up the canal.   Essential visit for today's unknowing children, like the Northern France graveyards.

So worth getting there early on your return trip!

Both overnight sailings get you into France about 0700, but don't get confused by the time zone change in Channel crossing. I once had an altercation with a steward, who knocked on our cabin door at 0500, I thought, to tell us we were coming into port, when I had set my watch the wrong way!

JOhn

try the Weymouth ( and Soton?)   fast ferry into St Malo too. BUT watch the booking. We once had a three hour stopover in Guernsey which although pleasant was a pain! The return ferry was good and fast but landed around Midnight in Soton IIRC. which was a bit late for the 4 hr drive back to shropshire.  

We once opted to get breakfast in a nice little cafe in france rather than on the ferry. Two hours later we were waiting outside E LeClerc waiting for them to open as we had failed to find a cafe and were bloomin starving! 

Hello Mike

We have used this crossing twice for going to Classic Le Mans and it is ok, I think it is more of a truck ferry a cabin is worth it and will sleep 4 with toilet and shower and towels etc.

We live Midlands (Clent) so much nicer than the slog to dover

Roger

Thanks for all the tips folks. Still full of the post holiday bliss and your memories make me want to get in the car and head off tonight, We were in Honfleur for a night and I want to get the Vitesse out there and get some great photos and just enjoy the " burble" as we explore the towns, villages and food. Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Living on the Isle of Sheppey the slog to Dover takes about 45 minutes so no contest, either the chunnel or Dover ofr us Kentish types.

I used to live in Pompey and the kids still do so either crossing would suit me. Sorry just trying to get my number of posts into double figures.