So can I have LED headlamps or not?

Rabbit

I have been reading all the new regulations (MoTs) regarding fitting LED headlamps to our cars. Mine is a 1968 Spitfire III. It does seem to state that cars prior to about 1980 can have them as long as they conform to the correct dipping and headlamp pattern. Some letters on here state categorically NO as they have not got an E mark etc. I had these same headlamps fitted to my 13/60 and was NEVER flashed for 'blinding' oncoming vehicles and passed 3 MoTs with them with NO queries. Your views on this would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Rabbit said:

I have been reading all the new regulations (MoTs) regarding fitting LED headlamps to our cars. Mine is a 1968 Spitfire III. It does seem to state that cars prior to about 1980 can have them as long as they conform to the correct dipping and headlamp pattern. Some letters on here state categorically NO as they have not got an E mark etc. I had these same headlamps fitted to my 13/60 and was NEVER flashed for 'blinding' oncoming vehicles and passed 3 MoTs with them with NO queries. Your views on this would be appreciated. 

Hi Rabbit,

on your car you can fit LED bulbs to your headlights.  The MOT will check the bean beam spread and all being OK it will pass.

Roger

1 hour ago, Rabbit said:

Thanks for that. I did think I was OK. My LEDs are quite expensive ones with a very good dip. £95 the pair if I remember rightly. Don't know why my post appeared twice! 

I have cheap LED headlights (NightEyes from China via ebay) £19/pair and they work very very well.

Roger

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rabbit said:

The way I interpreted it was that LED headlamps, which were made with LEDs are mostly legal - mostly, as they need to conform to the current regulations here in the UK. 

Owner-converted LEDs, where an LED bulb is inserted into a halogen or filament bowl, are not legal. I may be wrong, but it's a grey area as yet and with the current lack of MOTs and the exemptions for older cars some may get away with it for a time.

I just popped on to the Classic Car LEDs' website, as they sell conversion bulbs so would need to have the appropreate disclaimers and looking at a random LED headlight bulb(https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/latest-led-headlights-h4-philips-z-es-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v) they say:

The MOT rules have been clarified from 22.3.21 to allow the use of LED conversions that pass the beam pattern tests for headlights for Class 3, 4, 5 and 7 vehicles (car, private bus and light commercial vehicle) first used before 1 April 1986 and all class1 and 2 motorcycles of any age. Full details can be read at this link.

So looks like, after the March 22nd update to the Jan 11th MOT rule amendements LED bulbs are OK in 'filament' headlight bowls in pre-April '86 cars - provided they pass the beam pattern test (something I'm guessing you'd need one of the MOT headlight testing machine to test).

• Like 1