Vitesse 1600/6 1966 - Dynamo to Alternator

martyn wright

wiring with alternators is a lot simpler more reliable and better charge rates at lower rpm

easy to fit with a few simple changes  we  used the orig bracket  , shortened the front spacer boss and used a spacer on the rear lug bolt

run a new heavier gauge wire from the 30amp lucar direct to the solenoid battery terminal 

the pic was my 64  1600

use the orig warning lamp wire to the smaller 17 amp lucar  but join together the by disconnect at the regulator and join them together 

i would not use the orig dynamo regulator charge cabling  ( you can at the control/regulator join all the big wires  together  ad join all the small wires together and disconnect the earth and use the orig dynamo wiring but if the alt has a much higher output it may be inadequate 

tip the rear lug may have a light pressed in tube spacer this must stay midships so the case can grow.shrink with heat changes or you will quickly break the rear 

lug off

sorry dont have a pic of the installation close up 

Pete

alt mount.JPG

4 hours ago, martyn wright said:

Hi Jonny!  The Dynamo is okay, but was thinking of upgrading as I am also  fitting a radio?  Everyone seems to say that a alternator is the way to go??

Cheers martyn

Why not fit the radio and see if your ignition light comes on when blasting out on tickover? If not stick with the dynamo as it looks a lot more classic (they even sell expensive alternators made to look like dynamos!), unless of course youre looking for something to fiddle with (and theres nothing wrong with that😍)...

1 hour ago, johny said:

Why not fit the radio and see if your ignition light comes on when blasting out on tickover? If not stick with the dynamo as it looks a lot more classic (they even sell expensive alternators made to look like dynamos!), unless of course youre looking for something to fiddle with (and theres nothing wrong with that😍)...

A word of caution on Dynamator  , an alternator in a Dynamo case . My one lasted 2 weeks before it failed . Apparently they get hot and can over heat . I did get a replacement which I sold on eBay 

Paul 

33 minutes ago, Paul H said:

A word of caution on Dynamator  , an alternator in a Dynamo case . My one lasted 2 weeks before it failed . Apparently they get hot and can over heat . I did get a replacement which I sold on eBay 

Paul 

I bought one, found it wasn't just as simple and straightforward as I had hoped, and it too went on eBay.

3 hours ago, martyn wright said:

can I unscrew the bottom half/

yes , you will spill a float chamber of fuel out  thats all and if you measure or count any jet adjuster turns (the lower adjuster) you can replace to the same setting as when removed 

dont know what  kit they are but a lucas type ACR /127 or similar  3 lug  mount will fit ok

even some of the nippon denso moderns 

and the dynamo will cope easily with a radio unless you run some silly high wattage boot boomer

and getting full voltage to the headlamps with new wires and relays gets the glow worms shining bright there a lot of voltage drop into the bonnet zone 

if the dynamo is fine   stick with it till you have to change     its the old do you need utopia to go ona run with a picnic ???

Pete