Throttle cable fittings?

Roger K

I suppose this is fuel system related, ish...

Late GT6 MkIII, recently purchased.  The throttle cable on this car is quite new.  It comes down onto the bulkhead shelf and passes through it to attach to the throttle pedal.  The hole in the bulkhead is quite ragged and has clearly either been made bigger or has worn.  The cable has a stop flange on the outer, and cannot pass through the hole, so that's OK.  But there's a sort of clip wrapped around the cable outer to make it difficult to simply pull up out of the hole.  Is this a factory part, or should the cable be a close fit in the hole on its own, relying on the carb and pedal springs to keep it in place?  I can't see why this would be needed.  I'm not talking about the spring clip that stops the nipple disengaging from the pedal, that's fine.

interesting my Mk2 Vitesse has no internal clip under the bulkhead ledge the assembly is held in place by the shoulder on the cable outer, the nipple on the cable inner end being held in the organ pipe throttle pedal, and the carb return spring creating the tension. It's been that way since I've had it (1970) & it's a late 68 car.

When you remove the throttle return spring it all falls apart the nipple disconnects from the pedal so you have to remember to fit it before reassembly of the throttle lever/spring. I believe some models had a clip to hold the nipple onto the throttle pedal to stop this disconnecting,