Vitesse Door Stripdown

t-stag

Continuing saga of my Mk2 Vitesse Convertible restoration.

Are there any detailed descriptions for dismantling the doors? The Haynes Manual is a bit lightweight on this subject.

The doors will be blasted and repainted, along with the rest of the bodywork.

Steve

Answered my own question with some more internet research!

2 Workshop Manuals available online as .pdfs: Triumph Herald 1200, 12/50, Vitesse and Spitfire WM 417 pages, c1964/5; Triumph GT6 and Vitesse 2-litre WM 627 pages.

Very useful resource.

Steve

So neither Workshop Manual exactly described my door. Convertible manufactured in 1968 and registered in 1969. Must have been a real pig to assemble these doors!

Took 3 hours to get it all apart. The window is stuck solid to the channel and the plastic curtain has been ripped off at some time.  The winder mechanism is still fixed to the panel by 2 small welded on studs?

Now I know how it all works, I will take a lot more photos and notes when I strip the RHS Door. Not looking forward to reassembly.  

As you dismantle take photo’s it took me ages to work out where the thin 24inch coat hanger type wire that clips around the rear window guide was held with which bolt at the front.

I wonder if anyone is reskinning a door could provide a photo for you

14 hours ago, t-stag said:

So neither Workshop Manual exactly described my door. Convertible manufactured in 1968 and registered in 1969. Must have been a real pig to assemble these doors!

Took 3 hours to get it all apart. The window is stuck solid to the channel and the plastic curtain has been ripped off at some time.  The winder mechanism is still fixed to the panel by 2 small welded on studs?

Now I know how it all works, I will take a lot more photos and notes when I strip the RHS Door. Not looking forward to reassembly.  

t-stag are you sure the window mech is held on with welded pins?
They have an e clip and a leather washer on the back.
It shouldnt take that long to strip a door down thaough I do admit they can be fiddly.
AFAIK the doors differed very little between the first Herald and the last Vitesse.
Only real trick is getting the 1/4 glass into the door and you need to wedge the door open a bit.

But do have a look at this from  1 minute 19 seconds courtesy of Steve Weblin

Good luck with it from the other Eastbourne

Adrian

Thanks for info. The Service Training Notes also show a few differences to the 2 Workshop Manuals.

Part of the winder mechanism has a bracket spot welded on which I will have to drill out.

I will post some pics when it is all dismantled to maybe help others.

(Adrian - other Eastbourne - car or town?)

Steve