Spitfire 1500 mk 4 boot lid bump stops

you can get half dome bump stops for doors drawers from the normal rubber factors they have a rubber pin/shaft on the rear to push into the locating hole. When I strip old equipment down I keep these sort of things.

is there a hole for one on the other side of the boot lid, if not maybe the PO used a bump stop to get the boot lid to sit right. 

I'm reasonably sure it IS just a grommet and NOT a bump stop.

Without popping out to the garage I can't be 100% but I'm sure whole rear bootlid lip hangs out beyond the read bodywork and the only 'bump stop' is the sealing rubber/slam catch.

The only photo that shows this area in the closed position in John Thomason's "A guide to originality" seems to show it out clear of the body, with an earlier pic highlighting them with the caption "Early complaints of boot lid corrosion were attributed to water entering the boot lid via two paint drainage holes which were outside the boot lid seal. Consiquently, at FH 62,271 a rubber grommet was located on each corner of the boot lid. Unfortunetly boot lids continued to corrode!".

Well had to pop out to the garage anyway and can confirm, just grommets that aren't anywhere near anything to bump against.

I can also confirm that the 2 most rearward are in (give or take) 10mm holes, while the pair that are more forward and inside the boot when closed are 14mm. And that all 4 of mine are missing!