How to refurb GT6 150CDSEs and get not resolve any problems.

chrishawley

Every day is a learning day! Having gone considerable effort, not to mention expense, to refurb my CDSEs none of the running issues were resolved. Here's how to replicate my experience with bonus points if you can get all the listed items to happen at once, such as I did.

1) Ensure that the 'y' fuel pipe between the carbs is as full as possible with rust, detritus and bits of rubber.

2) Loosen the hose for the servo on the inlet manifold to give a discreet air leak

3) To further increase air leakage make a long split in the rubber end connector for the vacuum advance

4) Then ensure that the breather pipes are old and stiff and don't seal properly. Avoid the use of hose clips as they might make things better.

5) Remove a section of the perimeter of the paper gasket between the carb heat insulator and the inlet manifold. Will also work by removing a chunk of the outer gasket but better to have the problem in the gasket which is not so readily inspected.

6) When refitting the y-piece having filled it with crud (see #1 above) mount it on the piss so that the rubber connectors are distorted and collapse on the inside.

I award myself the wooden spoon for putting  hand in  pocket before putting brain in gear!

P.S. yup, it's runs nicely now.

9 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

You missed a damaged/ missplaced rocker cover gasket

Hi.  Have wondered about this and interested, as some cars, have the rocker cover breather open with just a hose/or a hose into the filter box, like mine was.

Since fitting the original diaphragm arrangement the car seems to have more consistent mixture from idle to higher revs. Also the rocker area now has vacuum, where before it used to puff a bit of oil smoke out of the filler hole, if the cap was removed.

Dave