electric cooling fan

brian wesby

I found that the only time I had increased heat anxiety was when my 4 was sitting in a traffic jam or very slow-moving traffic for a while - obviously more of  concern during hot spells. 

The std 4-blade fan was - in my view- never going to cope very well with my commute which would often involve stop-start slow moving traffic.

simplest way to address this was to fit an electric fan - I chose a SPAL with a Revotec variable controller mounted in a boss in the water return pipe, with a manual override switch. All wired from an auxiliary fuse box so as not to add extra load to the existing loom.

this works really nicely, fan rarely operates with normal driving, and comes on/off when in traffic exactly as I expected without any overheating worries. 

Personally, it has worked out well for my needs.

........ Andy 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

try sitting in a hot sun 35Cplus traffic jam with a Vitesse with an engine driven fan and trying to keep its temp down,

Funnily enough, the only one of my Triumphs that's ever overheated in traffic (and blown the head gasket) on a seriously hot day was the Vitesse. It has an electric fan, though. The GT6 with its original mechanical fan keeps its cool quite happily (although the occupants definitely feel the heat). The only times that's ever overheated were down to a snapped fan belt and a burst hose.

Id suggest though that the Vitesse would have overheated with a mechanical fan anyway? Either that or you have a seriously poor electric fan or one thats not fitted efficiently.

Ive indicated before my belief that our cars dont necessarily need an electric fan but if you do want more airflow through the rad at standstill a correctly specced and fitted electric fan spins far faster than a crank fan, is a more efficient design and runs closer to the radiator,,,,  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johny said:

Id suggest though that the Vitesse would have overheated with a mechanical fan anyway?

Probably. I don't think there was a problem with the fan at the time, and it's still got the same fan and shows no sign of any problems now that it's not leaking from a crack in the block (again, I don't know if that was the problem back then as it was only some dozen years later that I noticed it).