Engine mount

TRevver

Inserted the engine block this morning and not entirely convinced the engine mounts are correctly located.

Does the vertical metal section of the rubber block bolt inside the section attached to the front suspension turret or outside? At the moment, they are bolted outside (forwards of) the turret section but not convinced it looks right.

IMG_6744 copy.jpg

IMG_6746 copy.jpg

Yes, but as you know, clearance from the rad is minimal.   Mounting the engine behind the turrets gains you about half an inch, invaluable here!  There's plenty of play in the rear, gearbox mountings to accommodate that.    And in the prop shaft splines.

Thanks, I see the benefit of more room between the fan and radiator but I think I'll stick with plan A.

Whilst I'm on, I take it the main reason the bolts attaching the bell housing to the engine backplate go in from the front (nut attached on the gearbox side) is to keep the threads clean? Except for the 3 studs at the top which can only go in from gearbox side.

Hi

Just one of those "Daft" thing`s, I know. But, looking at the nice clean painted surfaces. I note the Crank case is painted Black?. Would that have been how they left the Factory?. I ask as 90% of (say) BMC cars of the era, came in Green?. and I`ve seen odd ones painted Red, as well as Silver?.

Or is it just a matter of whatever heat resisting paint is available?.

P.S. You can tell from the question  it`s 6-30 am, and not a lot going down yet as the other half is still asleep. I`ll go and walk the dog I think?.

Pete

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Hi

Just one of those "Daft" thing`s, I know. But, looking at the nice clean painted surfaces. I note the Crank case is painted Black?. Would that have been how they left the Factory?. I ask as 90% of (say) BMC cars of the era, came in Green?. and I`ve seen odd ones painted Red, as well as Silver?.

Or is it just a matter of whatever heat resisting paint is available?.

P.S. You can tell from the question  it`s 6-30 am, and not a lot going down yet as the other half is still asleep. I`ll go and walk the dog I think?.

Pete

I painted my 1200 engine green due to buying two tins of BMC Green paint at Stafford around 1994. It has lasted very well and I'm not going back to black now! To be honest you can't really see the block once everything is attached. My Gt6 engine was originally red too, and the 6-cylinder is more easily seen but I replaced it with a rebuilt version in black. My Spitfire 1500 engine was gold, but that was the seller trying to convince me that it was a Gold Seal replacement.

21 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

but that was the seller trying to convince me that it was a Gold Seal replacement.

🤣🤣.    Ahh! Well. I have some (black) heat resisting paint from "refurbishing" the Cast Chimnea a few years back, Not shinny though, a nice Matt finnish.

Pete