Vitesse door hinges attached to A post

Robin

Does anyone know if the door hinges that attach to the A post have nuts behind them ? I tried to tighten the bolts on my passenger door but they keep turning and there's seems no way in to the A post to check. Could I cut an inspection hole to see whats's happening and then re-weld?

They are a caged plate very thin and strip easy as you have found,

they dont take much on off fitting,

access is not easy as the apost is full formed , dont think there, s any access from behind the kick board either,

you can tap them out to 8mm x 1.25 being coarser you get some bite,

on my vit6 it was drillmout hinge and tap 3/8 X 24 UNF

BUT what ever dont wraunch the bolts up

Book toqure is 16/18 lbft.max

if sure you can buy access holes on ebay  !!!!!

look for a hole saw kit   my Aldi one works well

you could i suppose hole saw the A post and fiddle a nut on the back of the bolt  if you can see/locate it.

never tried on this location but you could drill the thread out and fit a Rivenut    http://rivetnut1.tru-m.com/

available from many places, easy to fit  the cage has an open back so the nut should not cause restricted movement and far stronget than the weeny thin tapped plate,  

in the end we removed and turned it around and tapped new holes,  still rubbish design,  its got a life of use it once   twice with luck third time stripped.  

Pete

I dont think so , obviously it takes some integrity away from the orig design, if your a posts have rotted off under the cill plate you can get inside with the tub upsidedown got that tee shirt

if you can get a hole close to the back of the bolts , then a nut will work well

to redesign you could possibly thread a bolt through the cage and this acts as a new stud to use a nut to fix the hinge on, never to fail again

just a thought oufside the box

if the hole has to get big you could fabricate a cover with a decent fixing to replace some strength

pete

if sure you can buy access holes on ebay !!!!!

look for a hole saw kit my Aldi one works well

you could i suppose hole saw the A post and fiddle a nut on the back of the bolt if you can see/locate it.

never tried on this location but you could drill the thread out and fit a Rivenut http://rivetnut1.tru-m.com/

available from many places, easy to fit the cage has an open back so the nut should not cause restricted movement and far stronget than the weeny thin tapped plate,

in the end we removed and turned it around and tapped new holes, still rubbish design, its got a life of use it once twice with luck third time stripped.

Pete

Rivnuts are great. We use them all the time on aircraft. Make sure you get the ones with a key on them to stop them spinning, you just file a small slot in the hole for it to grip on

http://www.lasaero.com/site/products/article?id=O00DHQGIL

http://www.lasaero.com/site/products/article?id=G00Z4ZOET

you have to drill out a clearance hole first , for a 5/16unf    or 8mm bolt its about a 10mm clearance hole

all my rivenuts have a spline rolled in to make them grip, a key is maybe even more positive but you wont get to the plate to file one  

rive nuts have a lot of uses so a kit with the range of nuts and the pliers to compress them is a good thing to have in the tool box.

you can compress the 'rivet' by fit a bolt , fit a washer over the end face , then add a nut , screw the nut down the bolt till the unit rivets in place

pete

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the really late response but I'm just starting to think about how to do this....

Pete - your idea of threading a bolt through the cage (assuming I cut access holes) could work but how would you stop the bolt from turning when you attach the nut? Would you need to spot weld the bolt in place?

Thanks for all the feedback

Robin

there were no nuts on my 64 tub,  just a  flat thin plate tapped

if  a big hole saw is not a way in why not three smaller to just take a socket,  to get a position just pilot through the tapped holes to pierce the inner skin

why not  try the  tapping out to a bigger dia or pitch   I have many taps if you want to try some one evening

leave the major butchery till youve tried the easy first 

Pete

• 3 months later...

Hi All

Thanks for the advice so far

I've had a closer look a the bolts holding the brackets to the A post on the passenger door and here's what I've found..

Top Hinge: The top bolt takes a 5/8 spanner and looks to have a 10mm shank diameter and doesn't tighten (maybe a stripped thread?). The middle bolt is the same and doesn't tighten. The bottom bolt takes a 9/16 spanner - don't know the shank diameter but this tightens so is OK.

Bottom Hinge: Top bolt takes 1/2 spanner and tightens - so OK. Middle bolt takes is also 1/2 but doesn't tighten and when I try and undo it it just turns without coming out. The bottoms bolt takes a 9/16 spanner and is tight so I haven't tried to take this one out.

So my thinking is to replace the 5/8 bolts with new ones just to see if the new thread tightens but of it doesn't can these be tapped any larger?

With regards to the 1/2 bolt that just turns - do I have to drill this out or is there a better way?

Robin

yes

1/2 af spanner is 5/16" unf dia

9/16   is 3/8dia

5/8    is  7/16 dia 

looks like someones had a good   try before you 

begin to think hole saw  longer bolt and nut on the inside   just  tighten it over the cage plate   but you need extra pair of hands 

one inside one outside and a third to hold the blasted door

Pete

Hi Pete

Think the 5/16 unf must be the originals

Will try new 3/8 bolts and see if that works - if not may think about the nut idea but I'm a bit nervous about cutting large enough holes in the A post without weakening it. I'm planning to fit a new door at some point so need the hinges to be adjustable.

More fun!

Robin

• 2 weeks later...