GT6. Correct toe-in. Can it be tweaked?

Try dropping the pressures at the rear. I’m running 28 front 24 rear on the GT6 and 30/26 on the Vitesse. I’ve never liked or understood why Triumph specify higher pressures at the rear, even unladen. I do bump the rears up a bit when laden but only a couple of psi.

Admittedly I’ve always run 175/70 tyres. GT6 currently on 5j wheels at the front and 5.5j at the rear. Vitesse is 6j both ends.

Presumably your GT6 does have the chin spoiler Chris? Seems to help stability at speed.

Nick

Ok. i'll try dropping the rears. I'm on standard 4.5Js. But my spitfire is best at 24f22r so I can see the logic.

Nope, no spoiler. GT6 is a really early Mk3 and I'm rather reluctant to do anything which subtracts from the authentic appearance (outwardly at least). But I would consider an undertray if there were some sort of tried and tested design.

• 4 weeks later...

Firstly, thanks for all the advice and opinions without the inspiration of which I'd have been well stuck.

The end of the story is, yippee, I have a GT6 that can nip down the A600 at 72mph feeling as sound and as 'planted' as one can realistically expect. It's been an interesting pathway, though.

I'd spent many hours tweaking various aspects of the geometry largely by driving feel untill it felt more or less right(ish). So I took it back to CVS (Shefford) to have it lasered. All credit to CVS who were supremely helpful and were happy for me to be hands on with them during the process. The main outcome was that although the shims were equal on both sides (L 2r 1f, R 2r 1f) caster was 4.0 degress left and 2.1. degrees right. And thats after I had added extra shims so the original caster after first laser alignment must have been about 3.0, 1.1. And that original alignment was done by selfsame CVS.

So final shimming is (L 4r 1f, R 2r 1f). An caster is 4.0/4.1

Being on good terms with CVS I wouldn't want  to criticise them for 'getting it wrong'. They are clearly knowledgable and proficient but the young operators just don't have the old skool feel, and trust the computer readout more than the evidence of one's own eyes. And as for conceptualising fractions of an inch - no chance. Trying to explain that 1/16th inch is about 1.6mm I could have been speaking Swahili.

So that leaves me a bit ambivalent about laser alignment, but I got a happy result in the end.

Thnx