Herald/Vitesse rear quarter panels

Patrick Taylor

I am replacing various parts of the interior on my Equipe GT4S, including the rear quarter trim panels that go either side of the back seat. I ordered Herald/Vitesse saloon ones, but these are too long: the top edge is 700mm long, whereas I need ones which are 600mm along the top edge. They look identical to the normal ones -have a recessed cubby- but are shorter -so what are they off? Not a convertible (they have the wheelarch cut-outs). Oh, and yes, I've thrown the old ones away... 😥

17 minutes ago, NonMember said:

They may well be unique to the Bond. How do you feel about making your own? Or modifying the Herald ones, at least. Failing that, a professional trimmer may be your best option.

Yes, I'm beginning to wonder if they are. I had a trimmer do some repairs to the front seats, which were unique to Bond, so might ask him to see what he can do. But if these are Bond ones they are the first parts (other than the bodywork!) which are not from a Herald/Vitesse/Spitfire parts bin!

16 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Estate ones?

If they are different, that might be a possibility; the seats look the same as HerVit ones, so I would think they come from somewhere in the Triumph warehouse. I'll do some checks -it looks like I may be able to adapt the ones I have; but I'll drop Guy Singleton a line first...

The Equipe spare parts catalogue, which lists parts only supplied by Bond Cars Ltd. and not from the Standard Triumph parts bin, lists the G.T.4S. rear quarter trim panels as part nos. TC 15 & TC 16 for R.H. & L.H. This would suggest that they are unique to this model. The ones on my 4S 1300 look similar to ones fitted to the (Mk.1) 2L Vitesse, and measure 635mm along the top edge.

5 hours ago, 9345490 said:

The Equipe spare parts catalogue, which lists parts only supplied by Bond Cars Ltd. and not from the Standard Triumph parts bin, lists the G.T.4S. rear quarter trim panels as part nos. TC 15 & TC 16 for R.H. & L.H. This would suggest that they are unique to this model. The ones on my 4S 1300 look similar to ones fitted to the (Mk.1) 2L Vitesse, and measure 635mm along the top edge.

Thank you for that: after 40 years of running Bonds I thought I was well-informed, but have never seen the document you refer to 🙂. I think 'similar' is the key word here -the part looks the same as a Triumph one, but perhaps isn't. My car is also a 1300 (registered March '70), so you'd think they would all be the same. I'll take the rear seat out (again...) and see what's what. Hopefully any cut'n'shut will take place where it is hidden by the upright seat cushion; but there's a bracing strut from B post to wheelarch to accommodate, too...

Guy tells me they may well be Bond's own panels. I have bitten the bullet, made up a template,  removed staples where necessary and cut the hardbaord/foam backing. Just waiting on a staple gun and 4mm staples so I can finish the job. Fortunately all the adjusted parts will be hidden by the rear seat/cappings, but it all looks promising so far...