HOW Daft Is this?. (Rover V8 in Herald 1200).

PeteH

I know it was a popular conversion for the Stag. Even test drove one, (Rover/Stag) but could not meet the asking price. (1980`s). But never seen it done to a small chassis car. It appears to work, and the weight distribution may even be better than the vitesse 6?, I dont know. I`d want upgraded Brakes and probably PAS, though. (Arthritis).

Pete

Engine one thing, back end another... Brakes too. No mention of that, but as the V8 in that sort of form is not a lot better than a good 2.5 straight six.

However, the handling will be much better than the straight six, engine is nice and light, I think just a bit heavier than a 4 cylinder engine, and with less poking out the front.

Saying that, I have been disappointed with the v8s I have driven (stag and 2018 mustang, that had 450bhp!) as both needed to be thrashed to get them to go well. I always assumed the V8s had a good flat torque curve, but it seems this isn't the case in real life. The Mustang was fast, 0-100 in about 9 seconds in Death Valley, but never felt quick. 

Yes, I often thought the Stag, may have sold better with the 2.5 Six up front.?. IMV, Torque is what will kill the Rear End? Rather than brute power?. I guess the 6 in the Vitesse, could produce as much (torque) if not more?. Interesting "hybrid" never the less.

The only thing I had in Death Valley, was the V12 in the R-V and the generator and 2 Air Conditioners, plus the cab Air on full chat!.

Pete

17 minutes ago, PeteH said:

The only thing I had in Death Valley, was the V12 in the R-V and the generator and 2 Air Conditioners, plus the cab Air on full chat!.

Pete

We had the roof down.... (september, but still rather warm, high 30's) but what we did discover is the car seats had a cooling circuit, rather welcome.

Back to cars, yes it is torque that kills things. There are options for a strong diff setup, but nothing off the shelf.

V8s have their place. And in America it was tricky to sell cars without a V8, hence the requirement for the Stag. And yes, I suspect a PI stag would be a good setup. But that is a rock it is best not to look under.

It has long been thought that Leyland Aus offered their 4.4ltr P76 all alloy V8 as an alternative warranty replacement for a failed V8 Stag original unit, the P76 engine was 192bhp with 285lbft torque @ 2500rpm, vs the Stags V8 of 145bhp and 166lbft torque @ 5500rpm.

A friends Stag is equipped with the Leyland 4.4ltr unit and performs very well, the P76 engine was installed when the car was only 9 months old, such an upgrade here requires an Engineers certificate, which confirms the installation date, the front springs were also changed as the Leyland unit being all alloy is very light.